Mammut Courmayeur Pants

The only pants I need. I bought my first pair of these…

Summary

The only pants I need.

Pros

• Durability
  • Comfort
  • Scholler 3x dry coldblack fabric

I bought my first pair of these at a local rock climbing store off the sale rack in 2005 and what a stroke of luck that was. I've practically lived in them for over seven years.  I can only think of one thing I haven't done in these pants.

That said I've used them for skiing (both Alpine and Nordic), I've used them for hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing.  I've used them for scramble hiking, rock climbing, and mountaineering with crampons. I've worn them a time or two under my swift water rescue dry suit. I've even worn them under my scuba diving dry suit.  I've slept in them in my sleeping bag on many a cold winter night.  I'd guess I've easily worn them over 1000 days.

They are constructed from Scholler 3X dry fabric which, in my opinion, is better than any of the membrane hardshell materials. It doesn't get wet easily and when it does it drys almost instantly oft times with body heat alone.  I've treated it many times with Nikwax spray on and use this in lieu of the wash in kind because it has a soft to the touch fabric inside which I believe is for wicking.  The knees, butt, inside of lower leg, and pockets are made of a knobby, tough fabric that seems to be impervious to cuts, abrasions, etc.

Lastly, Scholler calls this fabric Coldblack which doesn't heat up in direct sunlight.  How it works I haven't a clue but work it does.  Quite simply, they don't heat up in direct sunlight.  It's magic.

I struggled a bit putting out this much money ($171 on sale at Campsaver) but it averages out to about 17 cents a  day which is really cheap when you think about it.  The ones I just bought appear to be finished a little tougher than the old ones.  Both are made in China - Mammut is a Swiss company.

Of note, I am 5' 10" tall, I weigh 160 pounds, I have a 33 inch waist.  I ordered a pair in size 34 and it seemed as though you could put two of me in them.  They were huge.  I sent them back to Campsaver and ordered a size 32 and these are slightly loose in the waist (just right when you tuck in a shirt or two.  I have a 31 inch inseam and the regular length is perfect.  In my opinion they run about two inches larger than the advertised size so if you need 34 order a 32.  If you need 36 order a 34.

Rather than wasting precious pack space on unnecessarily specialized garments, stash or wear the Mammut Courmayeur Advanced Softshell Pants for your next alpine adventure. Capable of transitioning seamlessly from base camp to approach to ascent, the Courmayeur design reflects Mammut's 150 years of technical gear design experience.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

Mammut's Courmayeur Advanced Pant is a robust and lightweight soft shell pants in reliable schoeller quality. Additional reinforcements at the pockets, the seat and in the knee area make them the ideal companion for all tours with a high risk of abrasion. The coldblack treatment absorbs up to 80% of sunlight and the pants do not build up any additional heat. They also have a UPF sun protection factor of 50+.

- CampSaver.com refers to the men's version

The Mammut Courmayeur Advanced Pant is your do-it-all, technical soft shell pant. From classic alpine pursuits to fun times at your local crag the comfort and durability of these pants will make them a staple. Proven Schoeller(R) stretch quality Coldblack(R) helps the fabric absorb up to 80% sunlight keeping your garment from heating up like a light colored piece Unsurpassed comfort and fast dry time due to 3XDRY(R) Integrated belt with plastic buckle 2 large front pockets with zip 1 side pocket and 1 seat pocket with zip Knee, ede and seat reinforcements made of Ripstop material Leg width adjustable with press buttons regular fit UPF 40+

- OMCgear refers to the men's version

Robust and lightweight Soft Shell pants in reliable schoeller quality Additional reinforcements at the pockets the seat and in the knee area make them the ideal companion for all tours with a high risk of abrasion The coldblack treatment absorbs up to 80 of the sunlight and the pants do not build up any additional heat They also have a UPF sun protection factor of 50Features Proven schoeller stretch quality Unsurpassed comfort and fastdrying time due to 3XDRY Integrated belt with plastic buckle 2 large front pockets with zip 1 side pocket and 1 seat pocket with zip Knee edge and seat reinforcements made of ripstop material

- Bentgate.com refers to the men's version

These highly technical softshell pants will get you to your destination in exceptional comfort. The Courmayeur Advanced Pant from Mammut uses Schoeller 3XDRY fabric for incredible stretch and breathability and a Coldblack finish that helps reflect UV rays away from dark textiles so they don't absorb the sun's heat. Zippered front and rear pockets keep your essentials secure and reinforced knees, cuffs, and seat give you extra durability in high-wear areas.

- Mountain Gear refers to the men's version