Mammut Mamook GTX

I got these used from a local popular guide service.

I got these used from a local popular guide service. They said they were in really good shape and they came to me at about 90 percent new with one small crampon scar and some slight heel wear inside.

The insole says size 10 and the boot says 9.5 but either way (maybe both sizes use the same insole) the sizes run a tad small. They fit me fine.

Boots advertise being light and they are, weighing less than my old Raichle Eigers.

Tough? I have taken them on three alpine climbs so far and they don't hurt my feet and show zero wear. These accept step-in crampons and are plenty stiff with enough flex to do some hiking as well.

These boots have AMAZING lateral support and the lacing system allows you to wear some sections of the laces tighter than others as you prefer or cinch them all down tight. This feature pinches the laces and means they will wear out faster so watch those laces for wear.

I haven't gone to really cold climbs yet but I doubt they are as warm as plastics.  I have worn them down to 30 deg F.

I never got wet slogging through oatmeal-soft snow for two days at a stretch.

I would never pay full retail for these, that's beyond my budget for anything but maybe a car. I got them at less than 40 percent retail.

Maybe not the best that $400 could buy but definitely the best my $150 could buy.

If you've owned or used a Mammut Men's Mamook GTX, please share your experience.