Mammut Mamook GTX

Used on Mt. Rainier and Hood. I got these used from…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Used on Mt. Rainier and Hood.

Pros

• Warm
  • Lighter than plastic boots
  • Slight flex
  • Lacing system alows tuned fit

Cons

• Run narrow

I got these used from a local popular guide service. They said they were in really good shape and they came to me at about 90 percent new with one small crampon scar and some slight heel wear inside.

The insole says size 10 and the boot says 9.5, but either way (maybe both sizes use the same insole) the sizes run a tad small. They fit me fine.

Boots advertise being light and they are, weighing less than my old Raichle Eigers.

Tough? I have taken them on three alpine climbs so far and they don't hurt my feet and show zero wear. These accept step-in crampons and are plenty stiff with enough flex to do some hiking as well.

These boots have AMAZING lateral support and the lacing system allows you to wear some sections of the laces tighter than others as you prefer or cinch them all down tight. This feature pinches the laces and means they will wear out faster so watch those laces for wear.

I haven't gone to really cold climbs yet but I doubt they are as warm as plastics.  I have worn them down to 30 deg F.

I never got wet slogging through oatmeal-soft snow for two days at a stretch.

I would never pay full retail for these, that's beyond my budget for anything but maybe a car. I got them at less than 40 percent retail.

Maybe not the best that $400 could buy, but definitely the best my $150 could buy.

Update 1/15: I wore these in 2014 to the summits of Mt. Rainier and Mt Hood. Still love them.

Thanks for the update, Jeff.

1 month ago

Mammut Men's Mamook GTX

The Mammut Men's Mamook GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 22, 2015 at REI.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.