Mammut Stratus Flash Jacket

Maybe I'm just getting soft or it could be that this…

Fabric: 100% Pertex micro rip-proof polyester
Fill: 100% MTI polyester
Price Paid: $189 MSRP

Maybe I'm just getting soft or it could be that this winter was colder than some others but I have yet to go out on a winter's outing this year without my Stratus Flash Jacket either on my back or in my pack.

More than just an insulated flyweight jacket and less than an big, oversized belay parka, this highly compressible and lightweight insulated jacket is what I call an "active use" insulation layer that provides me with maximum warmth with minimum weight. Worn outside over my lightweight Alverstone jacket it performs well as a belay parka in zero degrees Or for when it gets really nasty I can use it as an active layer piece when I climb through the nasty iced-up chimneys on Long's Peak.

The Pertex outer shell breathes really well while still keeping moisture out. The fit allows me to move athletically and the sculpted hood works equally well either under or over my climbing helmet. When not in use I can roll the hood back and it functions well as an high and insulated collar. Two inside pockets keep extra gloves warm or food bars soft. When I'm not using the jacket I stuff it into its own chest pocket and the compact shape disappears in my pack. I've been using this jacket weekly since Oct. 2009 and have yet to notice any loss of loft or compression of insulation.

The weight is just 13.2 oz (men's medium).

Like any other piece of gear that consistently performs well outdoors, this jacket will go with me on summer as well as on all-season trips. The warmth and comfort it provides keeps me happy all the time.

Jack Roberts Team Mammut

FromSagetoSnow

this is a review from a brand rep, right?

1 year ago

Visit Mammut's Stratus Flash Jacket page.

Very wide-cut artificial fiber jacket with integrated hood that fits comfortably over a helmet. The good insulation and possibility to wear the jacket over a Hard Shell jacket make it the ideal companion for anaerobic activities such as belaying, bivouacing and on winter tours.

- Second Ascent

Designed for active alpine endeavors, Mammut's Stratus Flash Jacket provides a great combination of highly breathable and water-resistant softshell fabrics with a light layer of synthetic insulation for improved warmth. Keep out the elements using the helmet-compatible hood and thumb loops which ensure that your sleeves stay in place.

- Mountain Gear

The Mammut Stratus Flash Jacket is a men's lightweight insulated jacket cut extra wide to fit over virtually any other layer or shell. Pertex Quantum Fiberfill insulation is extremely lightweight, and performs even when wet. Ripstop exterior holds up to your adventures. Integrated, insulated hood fits comfortably over a helmet. 2-way front zipper has a chin guard. 2 zippered hand pockets are set high to be pack and harness friendly. Chest pocket with zip for quick-access items |Articulated elbows keep you mobile. Lycra thumb holes keep your hands warm. Drawcord hem is one-hand adjustable. This lightweight insulated jacket is a superstar - a puffy jacket great for belaying, base camp, bivouacing and other anaerobic winter activities. Colors: Salsa, Hydro. Insulation: Pertex Quantum Fiberfill. Material: 100 percent Nylon. Weight: 500 g

- Tahoe Mountain Sports

The Mammut Stratus Flash Jacket features a wide cut to allow the jacket to be worn over another hard shell jacket, an anatomically tailored, adjustable and helmet-compatible hood, and has good insulation that make it the ideal companion for anaerobic activities such as belaying, bivouacing and on winter tours.

- CampSaver.com

Mammut Stratus Flash Jacket

The Mammut Stratus Flash Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 31, 2013 at Second Ascent.

If you're looking for a new synthetic insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.