Mammut Stratus Jacket

Got this jacket a few months ago for the Scottish…

Price Paid: £100/$200

Got this jacket a few months ago for the Scottish winter season. It's seen a fair amount of usage on the hills but the bulk of its use has been out walking the dog.

Overall, I like it a lot. The only criticsism is that it is pretty bulky compared to other jackets, particulary Primaloft filed jackets. The good points which far outweigh the one negative are: Instantly very warm, build quality, large dump pockets inside, decent hood, nice length,thumb loops, fairly simple design and materials.

Compared to my Macpac Down Jacket this is just great, feels you can take it anywhere without worrying about damp or getting it ripped.

Mine is the older version, as pictured. The new one is a bit a lighter and even cleaner design. If you can live with the bulk this is excellent.

I bought this jacket on recommendation from the staff…

Fabric: microlite TEX
Fill: MTI performance (Ajungilak)
Price Paid: £100/$200

I bought this jacket on recommendation from the staff in the shop(!?),which I'm always dubious about but it seems to have paid off! It's immediately warm, warmer than my Rab goose down jacket my girlfriend wore on Ben Nevis this Autumn, whilst I wore the Mammut.

The inner pockets are cavernous! The thumb loops are a nice touch, as is the hood adjuster, although the clip frequently disconnects in strong wind on mine. Only other negative point is the claim that it can pack down into its own chest pocket--I've tried several times and it's very unlikely to fit as the chest pocket is only big enough for a pair of gloves really!

All in,a good jacket, not the lightest, or fully featured, but probably one you'll always pack on a trip!

I spent two months at ~3500 meters or 11,500 feet…

I spent two months at ~3500 meters or 11,500 feet in the mountains of northern Ethiopia and this jacket kept me warm even when temperatures dropped below 30F (probably actually down in the teens with the wind chill). I cannot say enough good things about this jacket. My wife was wearing her down-filled Mountain Hardwear to stay warm and wasn't nearly as warm as I was in this jacket.

I bought mine at Campmor in Nov 05 - I just wish it were easier to get my hands on more of these jackets - they are from Norway and not very widely distributed in the U.S. Campmor says they will sell more Mammut jackets this winter, so I will definitely be making a trip out to NJ to get myself another one (they currently do not sell this jacket at their online store) since I don't know what I'd do without this jacket.

It's light weight and wind-proofness makes it a very attractive jacket to have along on any alpine adventure.

Ol'TrailDog

Mammut is actually a Swiss company. Website is mammut.ch ; the ch is for Switzerland which I initiallly thought was for, you guessed it, china.

Visit Mammut's Stratus Jacket page.

This hooded jacket with 240 g of highperformance MTI filling weight guarantees good insulation. Perfect in anaerobic activities such as taking shelter and bivouacs.Color: Graphite/Black

- Second Ascent

Efficient synthetic fill gives this affordable insulator a broad climatic range. The Mammut Stratus Hooded Jacket has warm-for-the-weight proprietary insulation that holds in personal heat and a Micro Lite shell that repels wintry weather at camp or in town.

- Mountain Gear

CLOSEOUTS . Zip up Mammut's Stratus jacket and you'll feel like you're nestling into your favorite backpacking sleeping bag, thanks to lightweight, compressible and warm Ajungilakand#174; MTI performance insulation. Available Colors: CHILLI, ORION/SAPHIRE, BLACK/GRAPHITE, HYDRO/MIDNIGHT. Sizes: M, L, XL, S, 2XL.

- Sierra Trading Post

The Mammut Stratus Jacket is very light and warm. With a fill weight of 60 g MTI, this jacket is very packable yet has plenty of insulation. Stows in its own outside pocket. Can be worn separately, or as an additional layer of insulation.

- CampSaver.com

Mammut Stratus Jacket

The Mammut Stratus Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 12, 2013 at Second Ascent.

If you're looking for a new synthetic insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.