This is an excellent soft shell for hiking, climbing,…

This is an excellent soft shell for hiking, climbing, or biking. It has an excellent fit, but does run on the small size. I'm 5'10" 190 lb and usually wear a medium to large, but had to get an XL in in this jacket. The thumb loops are really nice and the jacket overall is extremely comfortable. I've worn it out in about 40F with wind and was not cold at all.

The only reason this jacket doesn't get 5 stars is because the double zipper on the jacket can be a little tough to get started and it lacks and side pockets with which to warm your hands. It does have side zips that run the length of the jacket, so I would recommend this jacket for climbing or running in cool but not cold weather.

I had been shopping softshells for a while when I…

Fabric: Windstopper

I had been shopping softshells for a while when I came across the Ultimate. I have been out on cool mornings that turned into hot days and only took the jacket off when I realized I was the only one still wearing mine. The pit zips go all the way to the waist and allow for as much breathability as you want. It kept me dry in the drizzle, warm in the cool weather, and cool in the warmth. It weighs very little for such versatility.

I am very impressed and glad I shopped around (I found it on clearance at Sierra's Boise store). You can spend a lot more out there. The design is very efficient and has one napoleon pocket. The lack of hand pockets and the fact that I've only had it for a few months are the only reason I left off a star. Once it stands the test of time, I will increase my rating to 4.5.

Mammut Ultimate Jacket

The Mammut Ultimate Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 30, 2016 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new soft shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.

Congratulations, Sheila, Winner of a Year's Worth of Nikwax