Marker Baron

Weight 2450 g / 2480 g (110 brake)

The Duke's little brother didn't live up to the hype.

Summary

The Duke's little brother didn't live up to the hype.

Pros

• Solid feel when skiing
  • Easy to operate, even with gloves on

Cons

• Poor quality. Parts breaking and becoming loose.
  • Toe piece beganeating up my boots when climbing.

The Baron's bigger brother, the Duke, is pretty popular amongst powder addicts who like to earn their turns occasionally. At 155 lbs I reckoned I didn't really need the Duke's DIN 16 so I went for the Barons and mounted them onto a pair of Line SFBs. These were the first Marker product I purchased in a long time and I was keen to see how they would perform.

They felt solid while skiing and the extra height is not an issue. While you should not expect the comfort of a Dynafit while climbing, the ski/climb mode switch and the heel lifter were easy to operate. However, after a few sidecountry ascents I noticed they were beginning to literally eat up the toe pieces of my boots. This only happened in climbing mode though so I did not really mind it that much.

Next, one of the slider plates that's part of the release mechanism on the toe piece of the bindings broke. I had one of the early batches of Barons where the slider is held together via a nut and bolt assembly, so I was able to easily replace it. From what I've been told the newer ones are riveted and not as user-friendly.

So far I was still happy with them. That is, until one of them developed a really annoying play in one of its pivots so that the whole binding would move back and forth about half an inch even in the locked position e.g. when landing. The shop said they would have to send them in to be replaced, but I didn't have the nerve to wait for a month, so I gave the skis to my father-in-law who only uses them once in a blue moon and reverted back to alpine bindings and touring adapters.

Bottom line: based on my experience, I would not recommend them. However, my wife's, which I bought simultaneously, are still going strong. Maybe because she is a mere 112 lbs and not hard on her gear.

Visit Marker's Baron page.

The Marker Baron features the same revolutionary toe and heel design as the Duke, but with a 4-13 DIN range and a lighter weight construction that shaves 150 grams of weight, about 1/3 of a pound less than the Duke. The Baron is suited for lighter-weight big mountain skiers who want the performance of the triple-pivot toe and inter-pivot heel.

- CampSaver.com

One of the most popular alpine touring bindings for the last few years, the Marker Baron has been redesigned to incorporate the new wider hole pattern that had been debuted in last years Duke. The Baron is a favorite of big mountain backcountry skiers and those looking for more of an alpine feel on their skis. With a triple pivot elite toe and inter pivot heel the Baron is one of the most reliable, best-skiing, frame style bindings available.Sizes:Large: 305-365mm BSL, 2630gSmall: 265-325mm BSL, 2600g

- Second Ascent

A full-on freeriding binding that you can tour with, the Marker Baron AT takes the expectations to a new level. An uphill climbing mode, flick the switch and charge on down.

- EMS

The Marker Baron Freeride randonee bindings are designed for lighter-weight skiers who want to spend part of the day touring the backcountry and part of the day carving aggressive turns at the resort. Switch between downhill and touring mode using the levers located under your boots; lever position eliminates the chance of accidentally switching to touring mode while skiing. DIN 4 - 13 adjustment lets hard-charging skiers stomp huge landings and hit high speeds without worrying about prereleasing. Gliding antifriction devices at the toes of the bindings are height adjustable to accommodate randonee and alpine boots. Low 36mm stand height creates a solid and secure connection to the ski. Included 110mm brakes fit wide skis and effectively stop runaway skis; brakes can be easily removed if desired. Heel design focuses power in direction of boot sole for superior holding power and energy transfer. 2-position climbing aids raise your heels 5deg or 10deg to minimize strain on calf muscles while skinning. Wide contact points efficiently transfer power to the skis. Marker Baron Freeride randonee binding mounting configuration requires a 76mm minimum ski width. Small fits boot sole length: 265 - 325mm; large fits boot sole length: 305 - 365mm.

Marker Baron

The Marker Baron is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 17, 2014 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new alpine touring binding, check out the best reviewed current models.