Marmot 8000M Parka

Main Material Membrain® 2L 100% Nylon Ripstop 3.3 oz/yd
Reinforcement Material MemBrain® 2L 100% Nylon 4.0 oz/yd
Lining Material 100% Polyester Embossed WR 1.8 oz/yd
Insulation Material 800+ Fill Power Goose Down

I am a stargazer so I sit virtually motionless for…

Fabric: membrain
Fill: 800+

I am a stargazer so I sit virtually motionless for up to two hours or so at a time any time of year even in sub zero weather. Tonight it is about 20 degrees. I have on my new 8000 meter I am toasty warm except, what’s that? Around my wrists I feel cooold....I have the cuffs up to the base of my fingers but even through my gloves at the wrists I feel an inch or so of a cold band;;;;;; everywhere else toasty...

Update: October 21, 2010

This is a review based on a prior review.

Since my first review i have sent my parka to Marmot to have it checked out. These parkas are hand filled by very dilligent marmots who take extreme care in what they do, but once in a while one slips by, not up to snuff; mine had down missing around the wrists.

Marmot stood by their warranty, filled the wrists with down, and promptly sent my parka back to me. I since have sat out in sub zero temps and have not even felt a hint of cold.

If you want excellent products with excellent warranties go with Marmot.

I bought this jacket for a winter summit attempt on…

Fill: 800 fill

I bought this jacket for a winter summit attempt on Mt. Washington (100mph winds, -50* wind chill)

This is a very, VERY! warm parka. It's like wearing a sleeping bag this thing is so warm! I love it, very well made.

To address the wrist thing (in my mind a non-issue) I would suggest putting on mittens or glove liners first, then the coat, adjusting the wrist cuffs, and then your shell layer.

One thing I would suggest in addition is while looking for parkas and other expensive equipment is to look at eBay. I bought this jacket almost new for $300 including ship, so it might be worth your while.

Happy and safe summits!

Visit Marmot's 8000M Parka page.

The 8000M is Fully baffled, stuffed with 800 fill down and featured with just the right pockets, Marmot 8000 Meter Parka Features: Marmot MemBrain, waterproof/breathable fabric with Marmot's Enduro DWR water repellent finish. Reinforced shoulders and elbows Elastic draw cord waist and hem Gripper elastic powder skirt Baffled construction for maximum control of down Stuff and storage sack included Angel-Wing Movement(TM) allows full range of motion in arms Articulated elbows design Zip handwarmer pockets soft fabric to warm hands Adjustable Velcro(R)/elastic cuffs Attached hood with drawcord hood muff Down-filled draft tube eliminates cold leaks through the zipper

- OMCgear

Marmot designed its Men's 8000M Down Parka for summiting peaks like Everest, so you know you can rely on its warmth wherever you roam. This parka's MemBrain shell provides superior waterproof protection that remains breathable for your comfort, and the high-loft 800-fill down insulation brings the warmth without the weight. Marmot reinforced the shell's sleeves and shoulders with Cordura for extreme durability. Angel-Wing Movement ensures a full range of motion so you can trek without this parka holding you back. The 8000M Down Parka also features a fixed hood to protect your dome and a powder skirt to protect your bum. The hood has a muff for extra warmth where you want it most, and the adjustable cuffs have internal, fleece-lined thumbholes for extra comfort. You can always access the Pack Pockets even with a backpack and harness on, and the flash pocket is perfect for passes and identification cards. Marmot also included internal mesh storage pockets for gloves and sacks to both stuff and store this toasty jacket in.

Our warmest baffled down protection makes the 8000M Parka the one to choose for guaranteed warmth in bitter weather on the worlds highest peaksFeatures Marmot MemBrain WaterproofBreathable Fabric Marmot MemBrain WaterproofBreathable Fabric 800 Fill Power Goose Down The Best Down Available for Maximum Warmth Guaranteed Minimum Fill Elastic Draw Cord Waist and Hem For Adjustability in Serious Weather Gripper Elastic Powder Skirt Keeps Out the Snow Stuff and Storage Sack Included Store and Pack Just Like Your Sleeping Bag Articulated Elbows Design Feature to Reduce Excess Fabric and Improve Mobility Adjustable VelcroElastic Cuffs Combination of Velcro and Elastic for Comfort and Adjustability AngelWing Movement Allows Full Range of Motion in Arms so Jacket Doesnt Ride Up Attached Hood with Drawcord Hood Muff Adjustable Extra Warmth Around Your Face DownFilled Draft Tube Eliminates Cold Leaks Through the Zipper

- Bentgate.com

On Sale. Free Shipping. Marmot Men's 8000M Parka FEATURES of the Marmot Men's 8000M Parka Marmot MemBrain Waterproof/Breathable Fabric 800 Fill Power Goose Down Reinforced Shoulders and Elbows Elastic Draw Cord Waist and Hem Gripper Elastic Powder Skirt Baffled Construction Stuff and Storage Sack Included Articulated Elbows Adjustable Velcro/ Elastic Cuffs Zippered Handwarmer Pockets Angel-Wing Movement Attached Hood with Drawcord Hood Muff Down-Filled Draft Tube SPECIFICATIONS of the Marmot Men's 8000M Parka Weight: 3 lbs 1 oz / 1389.1 g Regular fit Center Back Length: 30in. Membrain 2L 100% Nylon Ripstop 3.3 oz/yd MemBrain 2L 100% Nylon 4.0 oz/yd