Marmot Alpinist Climbing Jacket II

I spent a long time deciding between this jacket and…

Fabric: 3-layer Gore-Tex
Price Paid: $350 (sale, reg. $415)

I spent a long time deciding between this jacket and the North Face Kichatna. On the face, the jackets are almost identical. However, Marmot's greater attention to detail and durability finally won me over. I ran into a climber who had owned both jackets - the Marmot he had for three years (before somebody stole it); he tore the Kichatna to pieces in only two months.

"Bombproof" is an overused expression these days, but it describes the Alpinist II perfectly. I think that Marmot has found the perfect balance between lightness and durability. I that Marmot the Climbing Jacket III, coming

out in the fall, which will include a snow

skirt and a sleeve pocket. As far as I'm concerned, these

will just add weight, but I'm sure it'll be a great jacket

all the same.

This is the most absolutely bombproof, impenetrable…

Fabric: Supplex 220 and Supplex 330 - all 3-ply Gore-tex

This is the most absolutely bombproof, impenetrable parka I have ever seen. Nothing even compares. The best four bills I ever spent.