Marmot Diva 45

I live in Hawaii and we have very limited gear shops,…

Design: top loading
Size: aprox 2500 (size small women)
Number of Pockets: 2 zip, 2 side water holders on main bag
Max. Load Carried: 25lbs (with water)
Height of Owner: 5'5"

I live in Hawaii and we have very limited gear shops, so we are left to reading reviews and specs hoping that we can believe everything we read. I did a bit of research,thought this pack would "be the one". I like that it does not have a lot of bells and whistles, is top loading and seemed to have padding in all the right areas.

When the box arrived, I got all my gear (tent, sleeping bag, general stuff) and filled my bag to about 20 lbs. I was sad b/c I could not seem to adjust the bag. It felt like the top portion (from the mid shoulder area) was leaning back way too far. I re-adjusted my load, straps and attitude, and tried again. Some improvement.

I have another go-to pack but was determined to make this one work. I decided to try it out on a 4 day trip to Kalalau on Kauai. It held everything I needed with room for more.

I started off OK, but after only 3 miles (out of 11, one way) the bag was digging in to my shoulders like you would not believe! I took my shirt, borrowed another from my daughter and wadded the shirts under each shoulder. This helped greatly, but the damage was done, my shoulders were already bleeding! I wanted to fling my bag into the Pacific Ocean from the next cliff!!!!

Finally at camp, I took a hard look at the bag. I noticed that it had velcro on the hip belt that allowed for adjustment up the back of the pack (I re-read pack description when I got home, did not find this feature listed anywhere). I was so relieved, hoping for some major improvement. I tried, re-adjusted, and got better results. I did have a lighter load going back, and with my new found pack (and attitude) adjustments, I made friends with this pack.

The bag has ROOM, it packs well. Again, I really like that it is basic, just 2 pockets on the back. The lid (which is removable) has 3 pockets. The hip belt is padded deluxe, with 2 zipper pockets. I only wish the shoulders were a bit more padded. (you can always use your extra shirts for padding!)

If you've owned or used a Marmot Diva 45, please share your experience.

Marmot Diva 45

The Diva 45 has been discontinued.

The Marmot Diva 45 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

Small Medium
Weight 2 lb 13 oz / 1275 g 3 lb / 1360 g
Capacity 2563 cu in / 42 L 2750 cu in / 45 L
Material 100d 100% Nylon Double Ripstop, 210d Nylon Double Ripstop 100d 100% Nylon Double Ripstop, 210d Nylon Double Ripstop