Marmot Ether Driclime

Weight 8.8 oz / 249.5 g
Main Material 100% Nylon DWR 1.1 oz / yd

A truly phenomenal product. Years ago I bought a Marmot…

Summary

A truly phenomenal product.

Pros

• Ultra lightweight
  • Great wicking
  • Truly comfortable in cold, high windy conditions

Cons

• This product may wear out faster than my average garment
  • I wish the hood had a drawstring

Years ago I bought a Marmot DriClime Jacket. It was too warm for me so I gave it to my wife. Finally Marmot came out with the Ether.

This product is significantly lighter than the standard Driclime and matches my high-sweat, high-body-heat very well. In windy, cold conditions, I hike with only a very thin short-sleeved shirt under the Ether. This is my go-to hiking garment for any hike where the temperature may go below 50°F.

The Driclime lining is thinner than a standard Dri Clime jacket, so this jacket has less insulating value than you might expect. I found it does not work well under a raincoat in a cold, heavy rain because it provides little insulation. In this case, I am better off with a '100' fleece or two thin base layers.

The hood is a huge asset in windy conditions. The only weakness of this garment is the lack of a drawstring on the hood.  In moderate winds, this is not an issue. In high winds, I get around this problem by wearing the hood under my hat or by using an earband over the hood.