Marmot Hyper Jacket

The Marmot Hyper Jacket is a great rain shell. It's…

Summary

The Marmot Hyper Jacket is a great rain shell. It's waterproof while still being fairly breathable, fairly lightweight, and very comfortable. I definitely recommend it for everyday use, biking, hiking, and camping.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Light
  • Good stretch
  • Cute
  • Good-size hood
  • Nice pockets

Cons

• Not warm
  • Not "ultralight" for backpacking

The Marmot Hyper Jacket is great! It is waterproof, fairly breathable, lightweight, comfortable, and stylish. I originally purchased this jacket because I commute year-round on my bike, but now I have used this jacket for biking in the rain, hiking in heavy wind, and camping in heavy rain and it has kept me completely dry; the water just rolls off and I haven't had it "wet out" yet.

However, this is just a shell so it is *not* going to keep you warm. It just keeps the rain/wind off and you need other insulation layers underneath if it's cold.

The jacket is semi-fitted. I sized up after reading some other reviews, but for everyday wear over a single shirt I should have gone with my normal size. However, the looser fit (if you size up) is good if you plan on wearing a fleece or a puffy underneath.

The hood is also a perfect size for keeping your head/hair dry. You can cinch the hood shut with a drawstring. The material is very thin and lightweight. It doesn't wick moisture, but it feels good against the skin. It is also very stretchy, which is really unique for a rain jacket. You can move your arms however you want/need while wearing this jacket because it has a lot of stretch in the back and shoulders. It's a great feature!

The Hyper Jacket is completely waterproof in my experience so far in the rain. I haven't used it in the snow, but I would feel confident doing so with other layers underneath. It's also fairly breathable and I've been 100% comfortable using it for light physical activity. I haven't used it yet for vigorous hiking or biking in the rain, but there is a mesh lining on the pockets that allows some ventilation during exercise.

This jacket seems REALLY well made and I think it will last me a long time. I *really* love it, so I think it was worth the sale price I paid and even the full price. I even want to buy a second one just in case. Highly recommended!!

If you've owned or used a Marmot Women's Hyper Jacket, please share your experience.