Marmot Kompressor Summit

Weight 1 lb 10 oz / 724 g
Volume 1710 cu in / 28 L

Lightweight, comfortable day pack with 28L of capacity.

Summary

Lightweight, comfortable day pack with 28L of capacity. Works well for long day hikes with my gear and for two people's gear for 2-3 hour hikes.

Pros

• Very lightweight, durable material
  • Large interior pocket; exterior pocket; pocketed lid; hip belt pockets
  • Comfortable straps and waist belt
  • Water bladder compatable

Cons

• At 6'3", a little short for my torso
  • Venting in the back could be better

I've vowed this spring and summer to do more longer day hikes in preparation for tackling some 14'ers.  I've lived in CO for 20 years and have never summitted one and this is my year to start.

My other packs were either too large (a 45L and an 85L) or too small (12L) to carry the gear I need for the longer 4-5 hour hikes so I started looking around for a mid-20L-30L pack that can handle a small cook set, a mid-layer and rain shell, 4L of water, medi kit, food, etc.  as well as carry gear for an extra person on shorter family hikes.

I was looking at a 36L Osprey at REI but was having a tough time coughing up the $140 for it. I really like the way the venting worked on it but the price held me back. I found this Marmot Kompressor Summit at Sierra Trading Post and with my discounts I was able to pick it up for about $55 so decided to give it a try.

I've used it twice on 2.5 hour hikes but loaded more like full day hikes for testing it out, and I must say I've been really pleased with it. Even though it doesn't have a rigid back structure, it does have a full compressed foam backing which helps keep the back smooth and the hip belt has enough strength to let the pack ride well on the hips.

V__348E.jpg

The pack has many nice features:

• 28L capacity
  • interior sleeve for water bladder
  • lid with two zippered pockets
  • exterior pocket with stretchy material
  • two loops and securing straps for hiking poles or ice axe
  • two exterior water bottle pockets
  • two compression straps on each side
  • load adjuster straps on the shoulders and waist belt
  • adjustable chest strap with security whistle

marmot-kompressor-summit-backpack-28l-in

The two things I've found that downgrade this pack a star are:

• for my 6'3" height, the torso length is a little too short. In the picture above you can see that in order to get the waist belt to sit properly on my hips, I have to loosen the shoulder straps too much causing the pack to sit low on my shoulder.
  • when the pack is loaded, the venting channel in the back bulges out some essentially blocking the air flow causing my back to sweat more than it would with a more rigid structure.

So far with the two 4-5 miles hikes, this hasn't been to big of a deal and I've been pleased with the overall comfort. I think because the pack itself weighs very little (1 lbs 10 oz is what Marmot lists it) and I'm learning to pack lighter as well, this pack will work well for me this season.

Simple and light. Sit pad also doubles to firm up…

Summary

Simple and light. Sit pad also doubles to firm up the pack and serve as a frame. Also has a slot for water bladder.

Pros

• Light
  • Comfy if not overloaded
  • Feature rich
  • Roomy for a day pack

Cons

• None at this time

The Marmot Kompressor series of packs have always had two things in mind: light and simple.

For such a light and spacious pack it gives you many great features. Top pocket has internal smaller zipped mesh pocket for phones and the like. A key clip for your transportation and another pocket under the top flap. Though not large by any means the main top flap pocket has plenty of room for gloves, sunglasses, hat, munchies etc.

The main compartment has a slot for your water bladder and a removable foam pad to sit on that also doubles as a stiffner for the pack, like a frame. The outside has stretch pockets for odds and ends as well as loops and ties for ice tools in a pinch, not the best or strongest I have seen.

There are also 4 lash straps, 2 per side, that do double duty to lash on gear but also compress the pack down when not full. The hip belt is not padded but works well and has small pockets for some munchies or small equipment such as a compass, lighter etc.

Have done some skiing, hiking and scrambles with it so far and really enjoy how it fits and moves with me. I am 5ft 10in and 162lbs and this thing fits me like a glove.

Way sturdier than I thought it was going to be. Definitely…

Summary

Way sturdier than I thought it was going to be. Definitely don't regret learning with this pack.

Pros

• Really lightweight, which is good if you're smart.

Cons

• Hip belts suck, but they don't weigh anything.
  • Back panel is a sweat sponge.

I really appreciate how well this pack is built. Everything about it is pretty decent, especially for the $90 price I bought it for. That is to say if you don't overload it like me.

I started training in December 2012 for the A.T. in February 2014 and I've been loading this pack with 35+ pounds and enough gear to fill a 45 liter pack. I've been through desert terrain scrambling up rock faces and back home in Michigan mountains and deep swamps and forests with this pack and it hasn't really worn in the year and half I've had it.

That being said, I definitely do not recommend using this pack like I have been. Although a great bug out type bag for the average human's bare necessities (sleeping system and cooking system), this bag should not be considered for multi-day use unless you're particularly masochistic like me.

For an ultralight overnighter through wilderness terrain – this 28 liter backpack comes equipped with trick features that keep you moving. Compression-molded shoulder straps and waist belt with Air Comfort Technology distribute weight without chafing. Access mesh pockets and zippered waistbelt pockets stash on-the-trail essentials.

Visit Marmot's Kompressor Summit page.

Be ready for frosty fun with the soft, light warmth of this versatile hoodie. It combines plush fleece with a tough Taslan shell in key areas for weather protection.

Just when you think it's summer, that May chill rolls in and sends you back into early-April mode, which isn't so bad if you have the Patagonia Shelled Synchilla Snap-T Men's Fleece Hoodie ready to go. It has a DWR-coated nylon upper body and a polyester fleece bottom, all with a soft and warm fleece lining to fight off those spring and fall chills. Elastic binding at the cuffs, hem, and hood help seal out drafts, and the chest pocket holds, you know, stuff and things.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Marmot Kompressor Summit Pack FEATURES of the Marmot Kompressor Summit Pack Compression Molded Shoulder Straps and Waist Belt with Air Comfort Technology Removable Closed-cell Foam Back Sheet Dual Ice Axe Loops Light Clip Attachment Point Hydration Sleeve Compression Straps 3 Mesh Stash Pockets Silicone Touch End Points on Webbing Waist Belt Pockets Ultra Light Webbing Lid Pocket Mesh Pocket with Key Clip in Lid Shoulder Harness Load Lifter Straps SPECIFICATIONS of the Marmot Kompressor Summit Pack 210d Nylon Double Ripstop 70d Double Ripstop Silicone Impregnated Nylon Reinforcement: 210d Nylon Double Ripstop Weight: 1 lb 10 oz / 724 g Volume: 1710 cubic inches / 28 liter Access: Top Load Torso Fit Range: 17-20.5in. / 43-52 cm Dimension: 24.5 x 10.5 x 9in. / 45 x 27 x 22 cm Frame Sheet: Removable HD Foam

Patagonia Mens Shelled Synchilla Snap-T Fleece Hoody - New - October's first frost hits with all the subtlety of an icy plunge. Be ready with the soft, lightweight warmth of this versatile hoody. It combines our plush 100% double-faced fleece with a nylon taslan shell over the shoulders, upper torso, hood and arms for weather protection. A DWR (durable water repellent) finish sloughs moisture and abrasion. The anatomic, 3-panel hood covers your noggin on cold mornings and stays put in the midst of a gale. Spandex binding on the hood, cuffs and bottom hem seal out cold drafts. Two handwarmer pockets and a chest pocket hold life's small details. Lightweight and warm recycled double-faced polyester fleece with weather/abrasion-resistant panels at the shoulders, upper torso, sleeves, and hood for added durability and protection Full-zip hoody with wind flap and 3-panel hood Pockets: left-chest pocket has nylon taslan flap and snap closure; two vertical handwarmer pockets with snap closures Spandex binding on hood opening, cuffs and bottom hem Hip length Top body: 100% nylon taslan with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish. Lining: 7.5-oz 100% polyester (85% recycled) fleece. Lower body: 7.5-oz 100% polyester (solids, 85% recycled; heathers, 80%) double-faced fleece 609 g (21.5 oz) Made in El Salvador.

- Massey's Outfitters