Marmot Kompressor Summit

Simple and light. Sit pad also doubles to firm up…

Summary

Simple and light. Sit pad also doubles to firm up the pack and serve as a frame. Also has a slot for water bladder.

Pros

• Light
  • Comfy if not overloaded
  • Feature rich
  • Roomy for a day pack

Cons

• None at this time

The Marmot Kompressor series of packs have always had two things in mind: light and simple.

For such a light and spacious pack it gives you many great features. Top pocket has internal smaller zipped mesh pocket for phones and the like. A key clip for your transportation and another pocket under the top flap. Though not large by any means the main top flap pocket has plenty of room for gloves, sunglasses, hat, munchies etc.

The main compartment has a slot for your water bladder and a removable foam pad to sit on that also doubles as a stiffner for the pack, like a frame. The outside has stretch pockets for odds and ends as well as loops and ties for ice tools in a pinch, not the best or strongest I have seen.

There are also 4 lash straps, 2 per side, that do double duty to lash on gear but also compress the pack down when not full. The hip belt is not padded but works well and has small pockets for some munchies or small equipment such as a compass, lighter etc.

Have done some skiing, hiking and scrambles with it so far and really enjoy how it fits and moves with me. I am 5ft 10in and 162lbs and this thing fits me like a glove.

Way sturdier than I thought it was going to be. Definitely…

Summary

Way sturdier than I thought it was going to be. Definitely don't regret learning with this pack.

Pros

• Really lightweight, which is good if you're smart.

Cons

• Hip belts suck, but they don't weigh anything.
  • Back panel is a sweat sponge.

I really appreciate how well this pack is built. Everything about it is pretty decent, especially for the $90 price I bought it for. That is to say if you don't overload it like me.

I started training in December 2012 for the A.T. in February 2014 and I've been loading this pack with 35+ pounds and enough gear to fill a 45 liter pack. I've been through desert terrain scrambling up rock faces and back home in Michigan mountains and deep swamps and forests with this pack and it hasn't really worn in the year and half I've had it.

That being said, I definitely do not recommend using this pack like I have been. Although a great bug out type bag for the average human's bare necessities (sleeping system and cooking system), this bag should not be considered for multi-day use unless you're particularly masochistic like me.

If you've owned or used a Marmot Kompressor Summit, please share your experience.