Marmot Minimalist Jacket

men's
Weight 15.8 oz / 447.9 g
Main Material GORE-TEX®Paclite® 100% Polyester 3.6 oz / yd

Seems good so far. I've only gotten to test it during…

Price Paid: $150 (reg $200)

Summary

Seems good so far.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Windproof
  • Pit zips
  • Nice hood
  • Fits good, even with insulating layer
  • Looks good

Cons

• Price

20130613_131832.jpg
20130613_131724.jpg

I've only gotten to test it during the summer so far, but it is definitely waterproof and windproof. I'm one of those people that enjoy rainy/snowy days just as much as a sunny day. I go on day hikes and bike rides in the pouring rain, and this coat keeps me dry and cool, even when pedaling up hill (with pit-zips open and partially unzipped front).

It weighs 1 oz and packs down to about the size of a water bottle. i like to roll it up and stuff it in its hood. as functional as this coat is, i am however slightly concerned with the material that lines the inside, as I have had many, many items with this sort of lining (not Gore-tex, but rubber-esque materials) and have had it decay and crumble off after a year or two of moderate use.

I realize that the material type is what gives it its weightlessness, but for this price, I hope it lasts.

Edit 3/14: it's been almost a full year and she's still holding up great. I'm more confident in the external durability of the coat than ever before. I've had several huge dogs with bear-like claws jump onto me with it on, and even tho my heart skipped several beats, the coat surprisingly shrugged it off like any other pointy twig.

I've worn this all winter as my weather blocking layer over my insulating layers, and it performs flawlessly. I do dread the day that it wears out though, because of its price. Also, a lot of people compliment how good it looks. more than anything else I own. She's a sexy shell (but a little "swishy" when moving. You'll have to hold still to listen for things carefully.)

I bought the grey one which helps me blend in with my surroundings on rainy/foggy/snowy days. If I was in the market for a lightweight rain shell, I'd easily get this one again, but I'd look for it on sale. $200 is steep.

Great jacket which does all it should in changeable…

Price Paid: £89 GBP

Summary

Great jacket which does all it should in changeable Snowdonia.

It has its limitations as do all products but it is light to wear, very comfortable and so far 100% waterproof.

It packs down to very small volume. I tend to overheat easily so use the pit-zips and open up when getting too hot. It's the best all-round shell jacket I've had.

Bought this jacket as its function was for 'high aerobic'…

Fabric: Gortex Pac-lite

Bought this jacket as its function was for 'high aerobic' activities. Ran in this today in light rain but after 45 mins running jacket was wet on the inside, not to the extent of sweat running down your arms. Jacket was wet on tops of the shoulders and inside the arms. I did have both pit vents open.

Still deciding if it's worth the $399 NZD price tag as doesn't really do all it's say.

Visit Marmot's Men's Minimalist Jacket page.

When saving weight is critical to your mission, choose the Marmot Minimalist jacket. It's made with Gore-Tex PacLite and weighs a mere 15 oz.

- REI refers to the men's version

The Marmot Minimalist Jacket trims down your pack weight for long hikes and treks into the unknown while its Gore-Tex Paclite technology guarantees it can keep you dry during torrential rains. With just the features you need for a safe, comfortable experience in the storm season, this 15-ounce rain shell keeps the rain out without weighing you down or letting you overheat during muggy summer storms.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

Free Shipping. Marmot Men's Minimalist Jacket FEATURES of the Marmot Men's Minimalist Jacket Gore-Tex with Paclite Technology PitZips 100% Seam Taped Attached Adjustable Hood Chest Pocket with Water-Resistant Zipper Zippered Hand Pockets Storm Flap over Zipper with Snap/Velcro Closure Elastic Draw Cord Hem DriClime Lined Chin Guard Angel-Wing Movement SPECIFICATIONS of the Marmot Men's Minimalist Jacket Weight: 15 oz / 425.2 g Material: Gore-Tex Products with Paclite Technology 100% Polyester 3.6 oz/yd Center Back Length: 28in. Regular fit

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

Extremely lightweight and packable, Marmot's Minimalist Jacket is waterproof, windproof, and breathable. PitZips allow aggressive venting during highly aerobic activities, making this an ideal jacket for fast-paced hiking and cycling.

- EMS refers to the men's version