Marmot Minimalist Jacket

Weight 15.8 oz / 447.9 g
Main Material GORE-TEX®Paclite® 100% Polyester 3.6 oz / yd

Seems good so far. I've only gotten to test it during…

Price Paid: $150 (reg $200)

Summary

Seems good so far.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Windproof
  • Pit zips
  • Nice hood
  • Fits good, even with insulating layer
  • Looks good

Cons

• Price

20130613_131832.jpg
20130613_131724.jpg

I've only gotten to test it during the summer so far, but it is definitely waterproof and windproof. I'm one of those people that enjoy rainy/snowy days just as much as a sunny day. I go on day hikes and bike rides in the pouring rain, and this coat keeps me dry and cool, even when pedaling up hill (with pit-zips open and partially unzipped front).

It weighs 1 oz and packs down to about the size of a water bottle. i like to roll it up and stuff it in its hood. as functional as this coat is, i am however slightly concerned with the material that lines the inside, as I have had many, many items with this sort of lining (not Gore-tex, but rubber-esque materials) and have had it decay and crumble off after a year or two of moderate use.

I realize that the material type is what gives it its weightlessness, but for this price, I hope it lasts.

Edit 3/14: it's been almost a full year and she's still holding up great. I'm more confident in the external durability of the coat than ever before. I've had several huge dogs with bear-like claws jump onto me with it on, and even tho my heart skipped several beats, the coat surprisingly shrugged it off like any other pointy twig.

I've worn this all winter as my weather blocking layer over my insulating layers, and it performs flawlessly. I do dread the day that it wears out though, because of its price. Also, a lot of people compliment how good it looks. more than anything else I own. She's a sexy shell (but a little "swishy" when moving. You'll have to hold still to listen for things carefully.)

I bought the grey one which helps me blend in with my surroundings on rainy/foggy/snowy days. If I was in the market for a lightweight rain shell, I'd easily get this one again, but I'd look for it on sale. $200 is steep.

Great jacket which does all it should in changeable…

Price Paid: £89 GBP

Summary

Great jacket which does all it should in changeable Snowdonia.

It has its limitations as do all products but it is light to wear, very comfortable and so far 100% waterproof.

It packs down to very small volume. I tend to overheat easily so use the pit-zips and open up when getting too hot. It's the best all-round shell jacket I've had.

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All Minimalist Jacket versions

In addition to the 2 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the Minimalist Jacket. Read all reviews »