Marmot Montisplane

I just recently purchased this backpack after reading…

Design: front-loading internal
Size: large
Number of Pockets: 4 or 5...can't recall.
Max. Load Carried: 40 pounds
Height of Owner: 6'1"

I just recently purchased this backpack after reading about it in the Backpacker magazine gear guide for 2007. I bought it with the intention of using it in my thru-hike of the A.T. next year. So far, I must admit that upon receiving it and trying it out, it seems to be an excellent pack. The frame fit great against my back and shoulders.

I stuffed it full to about 40 pounds and hiked a nearby trail with it to just try it out. It seemed to work fine and snug. I like the comfort of the frame and the shoulder straps a lot better than my old North Face pack. I'll give the Montisplane a four-star until I really get a chance to test it out. One highlight that I like about it is the trampoline bottom.

I did, however, notice a major flaw while trying the pack out. It was nearly impossible to reach my water bottle. I either had to take the whole pack off to reach it or have someone grab it for me.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Marmot Montisplane Pack (Fall 2007) The Montisplane Pack by Marmot is a little giant for hiking and alpine climbing. Specs: Volume: 4800 cu. in. / 78 liters (Size Medium) Weight: 6 lbs 2 oz / 2.63 kg Features: Arc Flex frame system Interchangeable waist belt Interchangeable shoulderpads Tunnel Stash System Sleeping bag compartment Retractable bottom Removable lid converts to lumbar pack Sleeping pad straps Trampoline Bottom Two front pockets

Description of Marmot MontisplaneA little giant for hiking and alpine climbing.Features:Medium: 6lb 2 ozs / 2.7 kgShell material: LTD Nylon 420d HD Small Rip Volume (metric): Medium: 78Arc Flex frame system Interchangeable waist belt Custom fitInterchangeable shoulderpads Custom FitTunnel Stash System Sleeping bag compartment Retractable bottom Removable lid converts to lumbar pack Sleeping pad straps secure a pad under your packTrampoline Bottom Increases long-term durability of pack bottom.Two front pockets increase storageArc Flex is an active framing system combining shapable aluminum with the resiliene of carbon fiber reinforced fiberglass to comfort and support your back while distributing the weight of the pack to your hips.Seven sizes of backpanels to fit your torso lengthFive sizes of shoulder pads fit your chest volumeFive sizes of contour molded hip belts that adjust vertically on lumbar for a micro fit.Shoulder load lifter web that activates

- US Outdoor Store

The Montisplane backpack is a little giant for hiking and alpine climbing. Made with the Arc Flex frame system (see sizing chart for details), the Montisplane is stable, comfortable and allows you to carry a ton of your most essential items. The top of the pack is also removable and converts easily to a lumbar pack for those ridgeline summits.

- RockCreek

Marmot Montisplane

The Montisplane has been discontinued.

The Marmot Montisplane is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 26, 2009 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.