Marmot Montisplane

I just recently purchased this backpack after reading…

Design: front-loading internal
Size: large
Number of Pockets: 4 or 5...can't recall.
Max. Load Carried: 40 pounds
Height of Owner: 6'1"

I just recently purchased this backpack after reading about it in the Backpacker magazine gear guide for 2007. I bought it with the intention of using it in my thru-hike of the A.T. next year. So far, I must admit that upon receiving it and trying it out, it seems to be an excellent pack. The frame fit great against my back and shoulders.

I stuffed it full to about 40 pounds and hiked a nearby trail with it to just try it out. It seemed to work fine and snug. I like the comfort of the frame and the shoulder straps a lot better than my old North Face pack. I'll give the Montisplane a four-star until I really get a chance to test it out. One highlight that I like about it is the trampoline bottom.

I did, however, notice a major flaw while trying the pack out. It was nearly impossible to reach my water bottle. I either had to take the whole pack off to reach it or have someone grab it for me.

If you've owned or used a Marmot Montisplane, please share your experience.

Marmot Montisplane

The Montisplane has been discontinued.

The Marmot Montisplane is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 26, 2009 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.