Marmot Moraine

I am baffled why so many manufacturers design the…

Design: Semi-rectangular
Fill: 725 fill down
Temperature Rating: 20-30 F
Weight: 2 lbs. 12 oz.

I am baffled why so many manufacturers design the predominance of their bag line as narrow mummies. As I have gotten older, and as someone who actually sleeps in a bed most of the year, I find them to be extraordinarily uncomfortable. The Moraine is a terrific bag that I have used into the high teens and have been warm. It offers plenty of room for me in a size long (I am 6'1" and 200 lbs.), weighs maybe a pound more and packs down practically as small as a "more efficent" narrow design (efficiency which I think is highly overrated). The bag lofts beautifully and is pleasure to sleep in. Sleep one night in this bag and you'll kick yourself for believing all the literature pushing narrow designs.

The Moraine is a blissfully comfortable bag. I am…

Design: semi-rectangular
Fill: 725 fill down
Temperature Rating: 20-30 F
Weight: 2 lbs, 15 oz
Price Paid: $395 retail

The Moraine is a blissfully comfortable bag. I am a cold sleeper and have found the bag to be warm enough for me in the 20-30F range inside a tent. The bag is a little bit roomier than I need and the Dryloft shell material makes the bag heavier than I wished. I am used to Marmot's mid-1980's models Grouse and Osprey which I prefer for their smaller size and lighter shell weight. I found the optional hood for the Moraine a poor fit and returned mine. I am using the Moraine with the optional hood from my old Osprey. Overall though, the Moraine is a fine sleeping bag and I cannot fault the build quality.

If you've owned or used a Marmot Moraine, please share your experience.

Marmot Moraine

The Moraine has been discontinued.

The Marmot Moraine is not available from the stores we monitor.