Marmot Pounder

Great summer bag. Light, warm when wet, gets the job…

Design: mummy
Fill: primaloft
Temperature Rating: 40
Weight: 1lb 6oz for the long

Great summer bag. Light, warm when wet, gets the job done. Warm naked to around 50.

Gotta set the record straight for all those who posted it isn't warm enough. All bag rating are listed at the bag's extreme end, not comfort. It will keep you alive down to 40 or so depending on how hot a sleeper you are. If you want comfort then get a bag that's listed for 20 if you want to be toasty at 30.

Try these tricks to get more out of a lighter bag. Wear DRY thick socks to bed with dry thermals and a belay jacket like a Patagonia Micro Puff. This is a trick us alpinist do to cut down on the weight of the bag you carry. If it's early spring or late fall you should have a poly insulated jacket anyway for around camp and cooking. Stay lighter with the bag by getting double duty out of the jacket. A Micro Puff only weighs about 20 oz.

I have been in this bag in the 20s and was warm with my thermals, soft shells (pants and jacket), thick sock inside my plastic boot liners (helps dry them out for the next day of climbing) and the micro puff. It is all about the layer system.

I also do this in winter except with a down belay and down -15 sleeping bag. Once again a -15 will keep you warm to around 0 to -5 but below that you will start to shiver but it will keep you alive.

I rated the Pounder with 0 stars as useless. Maybe…

Temperature Rating: 40 Degree Farenheight

I rated the Pounder with 0 stars as useless. Maybe that's a little harsh but I do want to bring attention to Marmot's rating of this a bag as a 40 degree bag...and it's an outright lie.

The Marmot Pounder synthetic is NOT a 40 degree bag and is at best a 50-55 degree bag as long as you have 2 pairs of socks, a base layer, a fleece layer and a toboggan on when you get in (and it's not windy). The cold air just seeps right through this bag.

I used this bag for the first time in temperatures below 50 this weekend. The temperature dipped to 41 where I was, and the night air was still. We were camping in an Adirondack shelter. I had three pairs of socks (1 thin/2 thick Smartwool), a base layer top and bottom, a winter vest, a balaclava, and a toboggan on inside the bag. At 41 degrees I woke up shivering.

Fortunately I had another pair of long pants in my pack and put them on, but even then, I could not say I was "toasty" or even "comfortable". I am warm natured, 6'2", 240 lbs and highly disappointed in this bag.

Stay away if the intent is to use it below 50-55 and at 50, it would be wise to have warm layers on when it's time for bed. This is a summer only bag, and for that, a smart hiker with the right clothing technology, doesn't need a full sleeping bag, so for me, it's useless (but it's pretty).

This review dings the bag on its exaggerated temp…

Fill: Primaloft Sport
Temperature Rating: 50 F realistically; 40 F officially but not accurately
Weight: 1 lb 2 oz for the long
Price Paid: $119 on eBay

This review dings the bag on its exaggerated temp rating. This is not a 40 degree bag, ever. As the temperature descended through the 50s it was comfortable, so advise using when 50 is the lowest expected temperature. It is really very lightweight and packs to a grapefruit, making an excellent summer (or thereabouts) backpacking bag. The DWR and tightly woven fabric is effective in repelling dripping condensation and whatnot. High quality materials throughout. No trouble with the zipper.

In a 45 degree night below the dew point (therefore humid, with wet-air cold being appreciably worse than dry-air cold), reviewer's hands were uncomfortably cold inside the bag while wearing a full light layer, sleeping on a plush 2.5 inch Insul-mat, inside a full coverage tent; before things got any worse the reviewer had the luxury of switching to a thicker Moonstone bag in the middle of the night. It was fortunate to experiment with the Marmot Pounder before relying on it for any backcountry excursions for which it would not be adequate.

The Pounder has a full head box and this reviewer guesses Marmot expects it to be used to warm the head in order to claim some of its optimistic range.

This reviewer will continue to use this fine lightweight bag, just with a realistic appraisal of its comfort range.

Awesome bag if you're looking for quality and light…

Awesome bag if you're looking for quality and light weight. Packs down nice and small and is super-light. Haven't used it below 60°F but worked well down to there. Stayed nice and warm. We highly recommend this as a summer bag.

I was very, very, very cold in this bag one night.

Fill: Primaloft Sport
Temperature Rating: 40F
Weight: 22 oz.

I was very, very, very cold in this bag one night. The temperature was 52F, and humidity was relatively high. I was in a tent. I bought it because it was a very lightweight bag. I didn't realize it was also a very lightweight bag. I was nearly to the point of starting to shiver.

I used it another time, at 70 degrees, and I was comfortable, though slightly cool.

I use a RidgeRest closed cell pad.

I toss and turn a little when I sleep, and don't usually sleep with my head in the hood. Given how quickly my leg got cold when some blankets slipped off me (luckily I was car camping and was able to call in reinforcements the next night), it felt like there was maybe too much air permeability in this bag.

For a trip where temperatures are over 65F and I have some sort of liner, sure. For anything below that, it is really a bit too iffy for me.

I've learned my lesson and ordered a 0F bag. I can always unzip a bit if I get too warm.

It is an awsome piece of gear. The lightest bag of…

Design: mummy
Fill: primalost
Temperature Rating: 40 f
Weight: 1.6 pounds

It is an awsome piece of gear. The lightest bag of its size and temp rating, it's roomy -- I probably could get an extra person in it if they were pretty small and we knew each other very well. Plus if I realy want to I can get it in a 4.5" by 9.5" stuff sack. I have not had problems with it sticking to my person even in extreme heat. The only problems I had is that it is only offered with left side zippers so it took some getting used to and price (though I must admit to thinking that all camping gear is insanely overpriced).

The lightest bag out there for the warmth/versatility…

Fill: PrimaLoft Sport
Temperature Rating: 40 F
Weight: 1 pound

The lightest bag out there for the warmth/versatility factor.

Packs ultra small, about half the size of the stuff sack that's provided. Really is incredibly warm if considering how light it is.

Get a liner or sleep in long underwear, the bag is going to stick to your legs/back when things get sweaty, but I suppose that's the downfall of all bags that aren't fleece lined.

(Shivers when thinking about their weight)

A great bag for a great price.

EMS Velocity 35 is similar but much to spacy for my taste.

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 148lb
Built: Medium/Light
Clothing Size (Top): Small-Medium

rated 3.50 of 5 stars All Pounder versions

In addition to the 7 men's reviews above, there are 4 reviews for other versions of the Pounder. Read all reviews »

Marmot Men's Pounder

The Men's Pounder has been discontinued.

The Marmot Men's Pounder is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 30, 2011 at OMCgear.

If you're looking for a new warm weather synthetic sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.