Marmot PreCip Jacket

Jacket's interior was wet in any conditions. Even…

Summary

Jacket's interior was wet in any conditions. Even with pit zips and main zipper open, jacket wets out within minutes when hiking. I really can't recommend this jacket for any use.

Pros

• Can be found on sale cheap
  • Attractive colors available

Cons

• Not breathable
  • Wets out quickly
  • Wicks water from wrist up interior of sleeve
  • Hood adjustments provide odd fit
  • Poor quality mesh pockets, poorly sewn

I purchased this rain jacket for use on the AT next year because it was relatively light and at the time had good reviews. I have used it for 6 months in a variety of conditions with poor results. Wet out occurs within minutes in the rain during hiking. Even at rest with pit zips open, wet out occurs rapidly.

No matter what layers I wore, I always felt cold and damp in this jacket. Trying it as a windbreak layer during dry weather still resulted in excessive dampness inside. First rain jacket that had my clothes wetter when wearing it than when I just walked in the misty weather without the jacket.

Generic fit but does have tabs to cinch wrists closed and storm flap over main zipper. Large pit zips are only slightly helpful, they can't beat the moisture that rapidly builds up in this poorly breathable jacket. Hood is large and I could never successfully adjust it to a comfortable fit. Mesh pockets were poorly sewn and became useless after several times wearing it because the seams separated.

Besides the almost immediate wet out problem, the jacket also leaked along some seams. The interior fabric will quickly wick water soaking the interior of the jacket. This is most noticeable in the sleeves. If the cuffs get wet the water is wicked up the inside of the sleeve giving you very wet arms.

At this point I only use the jacket when walking the dog in the rain and even then it is very disappointing. I can't recommend it for any use.

Great so far. I live in the SF Bay area and we haven't…

Summary

Great so far.

Pros

• Light
  • Packable
  • Looks good

I live in the SF Bay area and we haven't had much rain but the little we have had I've been dry. The jacket it light, packable, and versatile. Good big pit zips to help with breathability and it's roomy to fit over many layers.

The reason for 4 stars is just because it's new and it has been dry here so it's only been used a handfull of times so, it needs to pay some more dues to get 5...maybe this spring??

Great rain jacket for the price. This is a great rain…

Summary

Great rain jacket for the price.

• Packable
  • Waterproof

Cons

• Some moisture retained inside

This is a great rain jacket which has benefits over its competitor and lesser quality models.

• Ample room inside.
  • Maneuverable fit.
  • Hoods are large these days to accommodate helmets — seems to be a trend most everywhere.

Jacket is packable and lightweight with quality fabric. Some moisture can be retained inside during heavy rains and high humidity. It's not Gore-Tex, but, the price is competitive and you can find it on sale, in selected colors, as I did.

It is well worth the investment. I wouldn't be without it. I wear it, and bring it with me as a precautionary measure. I also own a Gore-Tex Pro shell jacket, with much heavier fabric, for other intended purposes where abrasion resistance is necessary.

The PreCip is a tried and true proven jacket over the years. If you're looking for an all-around rain jacket, which can act like a shell for use in all kinds of weather, the PreCip is my choice. I even purchased one for my wife afterward. Look for the sales. You can save around $30 or more.

As a rain jacket it worked fine when hiking with clothes…

Summary

As a rain jacket it worked fine when hiking with clothes that would absorb the moisture from the inside during the spring and fall. But when I would run during the winter in N.C., I would find it as wet inside the jacket as on the outside due to my sweating.

Pros

• Fairly rainproof
  • Good price
  • Wind resistant

Cons

• Doesn't breathe
  • Makes a krinkly sound, especially when cold.

I bought the Marmot PreCip Jacket for $99, and it was a good rain jacket when I was hiking or backpacking in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina during the spring, summer, or fall.  When used running during the winter in N.C. I found that at a high rate of exercise it didn't breathe at all and if I stopped after 2-3 miles I would become chilled, which can be dangerous in the wild.

The cuffs adjust with Velcro which works fine. The hem can be adjusted with cords, which I never needed to use.

Purchased the Precip in February '12 ($99) at REI.

Summary

Pros

• Great waterproofness
  • Excellent packability

Cons

• Venting and breathability
  • Underarm vents are a bit too large (can let water in)

Purchased the Precip in February '12 ($99) at REI. The jacket exceeded my expectations on my 18-day trip through the Smokey Mountains in March. The jacket was exceptional at keeping out the H2O. We encountered several t-storms with heavy rain and the Precip performed exceptionally.

My only complaint is that the jacket does not vent as well as other hard shells.

Overall excellent shell for the money.

After a year of moderate use the jacket has begun to leak a bit around the zipper. (Not horrible.)

If you are looking for a super simple storm shell,…

Fabric: Marmot precip

If you are looking for a super simple storm shell, then you've found it with this. It's exactly what I was looking for. The jacket isn't full of bells and whistles, so if you need more than two hand pockets or fancy adjustments look elsewhere.

The pockets are placed in just the right spot to be fully usable with a pack on and they are mesh inside. They are large, running down to the bottom hem. The jacket has pit zips to open up when a bit of ventilation is needed. Combine these with the mesh pockets on the front, and you'll be nice and breezy.

The hood has a draw cord adjustment and the visor doesn't collapse on my face when I sinch the hood down. The bottom hem has a simple drawcord adjustment as well and the cuffs are elastic with velcro closure for a tight seal.

The packability is nice, packing down to the size of a softball and weighing very little. The jacket does retain a slight bit of warmth which is nice during a chilly rain and it's sized generously to fit over a fleece or other insulating layer. Perfect for the winter.

I read some reviews that say this jacket leaks all over but I have not experienced any such problems. Dry, light, packable and simple. 5 stars. One of my all-time favorites.

I purchased this jacket in the fall of last year.

I purchased this jacket in the fall of last year. I have worn it in several different situations since then and it has more than met my expectations. It has kept me dry in everything from a short walk in the rain to a torrential downpour on the Buffalo River in Arkansas.

Each time it has done exactly what it was designed to do. Even in the winter I stayed warmer with a light fleece under the Precip than a buddy who had a $300 North Face winter coat. They also look as well as they function.

Overall a great great product. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. My girlfriend liked mine so much she went out and bought one as well!

After trying a few hardshell rain jackets, I thought…

After trying a few hardshell rain jackets, I thought I was just going to be left out in the rain. Everything was too hot! and nothing really would breathe.

I bought the Precip and have not been happier! It does have sleeves that are a bit bigger, but the jacket has all the right features that will keep you dry and make you happy. I use this often and it is always packed away in my day bags and backpacks. I have yet to get any condensation on the inside and also have yet to get wet.

I have tested it in heavy snow and rain and truly this has been my favorite poncho! I will be buying my wife one soon.

My only complaint is, no chest pocket haha.

I've owned my first Precip jacket for six or seven…

Fabric: Precip wp/b

I've owned my first Precip jacket for six or seven years, and it still works great as an inexpensive, lightweight, waterproof/breathable shell. It is not as waterproof as top-level GT, but unless you're going to simply stand about in a downpour, it works very well.

In fact, it works so well that I bought a second, similar jacket from Marmot about three years ago. It, too, continues to function well for similar purposes. The primary differences between the two are improved abrasion resistance and an inner snow skirt on the second jacket. The latter sees more use in cooler seasons, the former in spring/summer. One or the other is in my gear on every trip, day hike or backcountry.

Fit is relatively trim, but able to fit over a medium-weight fleece, and the length is enough to keep from freezing one's midsection when bending, etc. The zippers work well. Quibbles are that there is on neither jacket an exterior vertical-zipper chest pocket, a feature I really like and miss here.

Another important point that helps me like both: when the hook-and-loop closure on the wrists of jacket number two started not to function well (the hooks apparently just didn't like the loops--I don't get it, but there it is), I called Marmot customer support and--Shazam!--actually got customer support rather than customer blow-off. With nary a hiccup, the rep suggested that I send it back, and they'd fix it. I did, they did, and it's just like new.

Performance and customer support have made a fan of me.

I have owned a PreCip since 2002. My wife and daughter…

I have owned a PreCip since 2002. My wife and daughter have them as well. It is a fantastic jacket and we all love wearing ours. I have worn mine kayaking in blinding rain, as well as backpacking in the mountains. It holds up well and does keep you dry. It is extremely light in weight, folds up well to pack away and has good ventalation.

My ONLY complaint of the jacket is this: If you wear it a lot, then the oils in your skin around your neck penetrate the white lining material and it will eventually turn the inside collar brown. Continuing to wear it will cause the white inside liner to start peeling off in small chunks. My wife's PreCip is starting to do the same thing. I had to use McNett's Seam Grip and put on the inside collar to keep from the lining wearing out. The next model up, the Oracle, has a better collar and solves this problem.

In summary, this is a great jacket and is wonderful to wear. It just doesn't get the miles out of it that a $100 jacket should, in my opinion. That is a great disappointment from a Marmot product. If you can afford it...go ahead and get the Oracle. I have one of those and love it dearly! It does live up to a $150 jacket and the collar on it works great. Watch closely and you will find the Oracle on sale marked down to $99 from time to time...

So far this jacket works just great. I have been in…

So far this jacket works just great. I have been in light rain, heavy rain and snow with it and have stayed perfectly dry. It is extremely lightweight and it works pretty well as a windbreaker as well. It isn't extremely warm but I dont expect it to be.

I like the design overall. Adjustable hood is great but part of me wishes it had a drawstring around the hood. It would add a little weight but wind tends to blow it off my cranium. The pockets are in a little bit of an awkward spot but not a big deal.

It has vent zips under the arms that work great for breathability. The drawstring around the waist is nice along with the velcro/elastic wristbands. Don't understand why some people hate it.

I would recommend, it especially for the price. If I were more patient I could have gotten one for 50% off ($50) at Backwoods but $99 is comparatively cheap for such a nice jacket.

This jacket is a nice shell to take out on cold days…

This jacket is a nice shell to take out on cold days with a chance of light rain. Throwing a long sleeve shirt with a fleece is great for the late Fall when it's 40 degrees out. The model I have is a few years old so I'm not sure how current this review might be, but I thought I'd share anyway.

I like the jacket but I have some issues with it:
1) Every time it rains HARD I get wet. The cuffs and hem are the first to get wet as they seem to soak up the water, not repel it. I've seen this on other posts and totally agree with them.
2) The zip vents don't seem to do a great job venting. If I wear it without a long sleeve shirt under it, my arms are just as wet as if I weren't wearing the jacket. The only difference is my arms are warm.
3) The wrinkles! When you unpack it the jacket is completely wrinkled. I don't much care much but it looks like I pulled it out of a wet dirty clothes pile.

I would only recommend this jacket to someone that plans to use it on occasion in light rain only.

I own two of these jackets, one sized larger to go…

I own two of these jackets, one sized larger to go over an insulating layer. They both have kept me dry under a variety of conditions from drizzle to heavy rain/hail, and wet snow storms.

Two weeks ago I hiked in the rain for several days in the South San Juan Wilderness and seldom took the jacket off, it kept me dry and comfortable the whole trip. I generated a lot of body heat carrying a pack at high altitude and the large pit-vents did a great job of letting perspiration out.

In the winter, I use this jacket while snowshoeing when it's snowing and as a wind block over a fleece. When I'm not wearing the jacket it usually travels hanging off the outside of my pack where I can get to it without digging for it- I haven't noticed any unusual wear.

I've had these jackets for 3 years. A very good jacket for the price.

I've had this jacket for almost a year but until recently…

I've had this jacket for almost a year but until recently I have not had the chance to test it. I live in North Texas, where it never rains, but when it does, it's a monsoon. During the lighter rain the PreCip will do just fine, but if you find yourself out in the rain often, spending more money on a rain jacket will be well worth it.

As for people like me who live in semi-arid climates, the packability and performance of this jacket should be fine. It gets clammy and is not as breathable as the thin material would suggest. But it's superlight and works fine for its purpose. It's just not a severe weather shell. As for fit, it can be cinched down easily and allows for great flexibility.

It's frustrating when you see that this jacket gets…

It's frustrating when you see that this jacket gets award after award every year, and that most of the people who buy it love it, but the one that I own is absolutely useless.

I don't expect it to preform like 3 layer Gore-tex, but at least keep me dry in the rain from the parking lot into the store! I would NEVER take this jacket into the backcountry. When it snows it wets through, when it drizzles it wets through. I don't know how anybody can say this jacket is waterproof. I mean I never even get to the breathability issue.

Even after the full Nikwax wash treatment, water beads only minimally the first few times you wear it in the lightest rain, and after that its wet through city. Garbage, absolute garbage.

Bought the Precip Jacket and Pants for a light pair…

Bought the Precip Jacket and Pants for a light pair of rain gear, tired of carrying my heavy Gore-tex gear. I must admit that I haven't had it out in a heavy long downpour but in every other area, windy, rainy and cool, it has worked well. Since I live in the NW I know I will get the chance to walk in heavy rain with it.

I paid under a hundred dollars for both the coat and pants so I not only can't complain about the quality for the price but I also like the weight of the two garments for backpacking. I would probably still use my Gore-tex for winter ski tours and early spring, very wet, or late fall hikes.

Hmm, seems like the general consensus is that this…

Hmm, seems like the general consensus is that this jacket is waterproof. I went for a leisurely 45-minute walk in moderate rain and found that the jacket leaked, especially in the seams around the wrist cuffs and on horizontal surfaces (tops of forearms and shoulders). I wore a cotton T-shirt and found that it became soaked in these areas. My bare forearms were drenched with the fabric adhering to my skin. I started to get cold from the the dampness. I licked my forearms to see if it was perspiration or actually rain -- no salty taste so I concluded that it was rain and not sweat.

I think this is a great jacket in all other respects and situations. It is fantastic for a light shower, but failed me miserably for the very reason I bought it -- waterproofness.

I owned this jacket for one year, after I tore my…

I owned this jacket for one year, after I tore my trusty L.L. Bean Packable Gore-Tex raincoat.

Despite what the jacket advertised, the "waterproof, breathable" material that the PreCip Jacket was made of retained a lot of heat and was not breathable either in hot or cold climates; I found myself sweating every time it rained.

After about 8 months of wearing it on a regular basis, it no longer was waterproof. The fabric itself became saturated with water whenever it rained. I returned it after I got fed up with being soaked all the time. (Thank you, REI!)

I bought a new North Face Gore-Tex, and have been happy for well over a year and a half now; it is equally lightweight to the Marmot PreCip, breathable, and 100% waterproof.

Finally, a jacket I really like! I have two other…

Finally, a jacket I really like! I have two other breathable shell jackets and while they work well, they're just too heavy and bulky to bring along on summer hikes. I also have a 9oz non-breathable jacket and while the weight is nice it's really unpleasant to wear.

The Marmot PreCip on the other hand is near perfect. It's breathable, light, and it's waterproof. I got really dumped on for several hours by heavy rain a few weeks ago coming down off Mount Russell, but this jacket kept me dry. I was also considering the REI Ultralight Rain Jacket but it was a tiny bit heavier and more expensive. I have no regrets about buying the Marmot PreCip. It does the job.

Great jacket. I will never pay for Gore-Tex again!

Fabric: Marmot waterproof/breathable

Great jacket. I will never pay for Gore-Tex again! Now that this technology is no longer proprietary, there is no reason to be gouged for foul weather gear!

Fully zipped and carrying a pack it breathed well enough to keep me feeling dry. My inner layers felt dry as well. Kept the rain and snow out and was a toasty shell for hanging around camp during the fall rain/snow storm I tested it out in on its initial trip. Can't go wrong on this one!

A $99 packable, lightweight, waterproof, breathable…

Fabric: Something they say is waterproof and breathable - we'll see

A $99 packable, lightweight, waterproof, breathable jacket -- from Marmot?! I was doubtful until Sports Afield recommended it. We'll see how breathable it is, but waterproof it is. I found out the hard way camping at Roaring Brook Falls in the ADKs on 5/5.

Fully taped seams, great hood!, full pit zips, stows into its own pocket, and great looking. Quality is also first rate for entry level gear.

So far Sports Afield is right -- it is a bargain. That $99 was at the Mountaineer in Keene, NY. May be able to do even better online.

The only quarrel I have with this piece is that it's…

Price Paid: 45$

The only quarrel I have with this piece is that it's just a little too short. The medium fit me well, I'm 5' 11" and 150 lbs, but it was just a little too short for my liking. The large was way too big but about the right length. I ended up going for the medium size. For the price, no other rain shell come close!

I live in the Pacific Northwest. This thing works…

Fabric: treated nylon, I believe
Fill: none

I live in the Pacific Northwest. This thing works here.

It does get a little damp after hours of downpour, but nothing too bad. The fit is great, none of that cavernous vanity sizing that some competitors have begun to employ.

The hood is roomy enough for my giraffe-like neck and enormous head, and can be secured well enough for moderate blows. The waist and cuffs are adjustable.

Simple, straight-forward design. No complaints.

Heard great things about this jacket so I bought it...probably…

Heard great things about this jacket so I bought it...probably wouldn't again. Went to Denali and areas nearby in Alaska for 10 days. Rained EVERY day. Practically lived in this jacket. After the first day the jacket started "wetting out". Cuffs and shoulders started leaking water. Velcro for storm flaps over zipper barely hold.

On the other hand it is pretty lightweight, wind proof and warm.

I have owned this jacket for a while and I like everything…

Fabric: PreCip

I have owned this jacket for a while and I like everything about it. It kept me dry in heavy rain and it is very well thought out product. The only reason that I'm not giving it five stars is the quality. The quality is not bad but it could be better. This jacket so far has been great and I'm sure Marmot will make it better.

I bought this jacket last year and the smell of the…

I bought this jacket last year and the smell of the waterproofing drove me crazy. The plastic/chemical smell made my throat sore and my nose run. It really was a miserable expereince and I soon returned it for another jacket without all of the plastic/chemical coatings... Most people don't have allegies like this, but dear god in heaven it made me feel miserable.

I spent one whole day salmon fishing on the Pacific…

I spent one whole day salmon fishing on the Pacific at the Queen Charlotte Islands in a steady rain. I was dry and warm the whole day. Can't wait to use it in the mtns. this summer! Best 65 bucks I spent.

It's portable, fits reasonably well, and is o.k. in…

It's portable, fits reasonably well, and is o.k. in light rain. However, it soaks through in heavy rain and I wouldn't buy it again.

Nice lightweight jacket for the backcountry or around…

Price Paid: $45 ebay

Nice lightweight jacket for the backcountry or around town. I have always stayed dry even in downpours. I would buy again.

I bought the Precip as a package deal along the Precip…

I bought the Precip as a package deal along the Precip Pants for a backpacking trip to New Mexico a few years back.

My overall experience with this jacket wasn't as expected. I found that while it did keep me mostly dry during the afternoon rains it was terrible at wicking away moisture from bare skin and was not breathable at all. Sometimes if felt that i was better off with out it on. However it was wind proof and was able to keep me warm during colder nights (only because it retained so much body heat).

It seems from the reviews and from personal experience that the Precip is a hit or miss. My tentmate who had the same jacket loved his, so buyer beware. I've kept mine in storage for a few years and have brought it out for when i needed a lightweight windproof shell for an outer layer, for that purpose it's fine but otherwise if you're looking for a versatile rain jacket look other places.

On a side note the Precip rain pants were phenomenal. I still use them to this day on with sweatpants for snow.

This jacket is fine in a light mist or for wearing…

Price Paid: $99+tax

This jacket is fine in a light mist or for wearing around town. However, out on the trail it gets wet inside and feels clammy. Good for light use only. The way the hood folds up is a bit awkward and the jacket doesn't "hang" right when you're wearing it unzipped.

Also, the pockets have velcro on the flaps and that is a hassle -- better to just get a jacket with waterproof zippers in the first place. This jacket is only one step up from a cheap rain poncho.

My recommendation is don't waste your money; spend a little more and get something that really works as advertised.

Stay away from this jacket if you ever plan on being…

Stay away from this jacket if you ever plan on being in the rain!

The Marmot PreCip has been a huge disappointment. I was expecting a jacket that could withstand a little more than a drizzle. But after multiple times of using it only a half hour I immediately have a wet head and my sleeves are starting to get wet. The jacket does keep off fog and light water splashes, but if the material gets touched the water sticks to the fabric and begins to seep in where ever it is touched. I could have just bought a cheap poncho and stayed dryer.

The hood also closes up weird. It looks like a little bonnet! The ties cinch like a hooded sweatshirt but the bill flowers out not protecting your face at all.

Light and reasonable priced. NOT WATERPROOF. Took…

Light and reasonable priced. NOT WATERPROOF. Took it on a fishing trip to Canada and had 7 days of cold/wet weather. In a steady rain the jacket began to leak in cca 2 hours leaving me wet and cold. Was glad to have my poncho and used it instead for the remainder of the trip. I replaced it since with heavier but waterproof HHenson Raincoat/Pants.

rated 3.50 of 5 stars All PreCip Jacket versions

In addition to the 33 men's reviews above, there are 13 reviews for other versions of the PreCip Jacket. Read all reviews »

If you've owned or used a Marmot Men's PreCip Jacket, please share your experience.