Marmot Rim Pack

It does have 2 large zippered pockets, one medium…

It does have 2 large zippered pockets, one medium pocket, and 2 small side zipper pockets.

Large (inner) Pocket 1: Holds laptop's 15-16" wide and 10" length. Also room in this pocket for large school books, binders, etc. Has a zippered pocket and a sleeve pocket.

Large (middle) Pocket 2: Has a smaller zippered pocket with key clip. Ipod and phone mesh sleeve, 2 pen holders, and room to carry books, binders, etc.

Medium (outer) pocket: Small zippered pocket, two separate sleeves, one can hold a 32oz nalgene bottle or a larger style laptop charger. The other fit my smaller coffee thermos. Enough room in there to stuff a rain jacket, rain pants for day hike.

Small (outer) pocket: has vertical zipper, good place for passport / plane ticket / cliff bar.

Two small side pockets: It's a tight fit, but you can put a 1L bottle in each of these. I also found them fitting for a camera, extra pair of socks, winter cap, etc.

I really like the style and look this has. Keeping in mind it is a school/laptop pack. I will use this 75% for classes and work, and 25% on day hikes. I'm really impressed with how they divided up the pockets. This pack is a lot larger than I thought it was and has a place for everything I need.

The outer fabric on this pack is in no way water resistant. It rained yesterday on my hike, and instead of water beading up on the fabric, it actually absorbed into the fabric. The great news is that the water didn't leak through whatever this pack is lined with, so nothing inside got wet. I'm going to pick up some Nikwax for the outer fabric to prevent water-log. The last thing I need is carrying around an extra 1-2 lbs of water weight.

This is a very comfortable pack to carry. The shoulder straps had me worried as they seemed thin. But they were very comfortable, as well as the back padding. I had 15lbs in this pack for a 4 mile hike and hardly noticed it. The back padding provided more ventilation on my lower back which I'm not used to. I also found the side pockets to work great for my camera.

Marmot Rim Pack

The Rim Pack has been discontinued.

The Marmot Rim Pack is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new daypack (under 2,000 cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.