I scored this jacket (Fall 2006 model, black color)…

Fabric: Marmot Membrain Shell
Fill: N/A (driclime lining for pockets and neck)

I scored this jacket (Fall 2006 model, black color) off of Ebay for $79. Scored can't be understated because it retails for $300. I've been looking for a shell to replace a Patagonia 6 Chuter Shell that I've used for a couple years that just didn't seem right to me the whole time in terms of fit: it was too tight in the shoulders, and too short.

I bought the Rubicon for lift-served skiing, and plan on using it for backcountry as well, though tend to use more breathable softshells for that unless the weather is forecast to be poor.

Pros: Fit. The Rubicon fits over my hips, which to me, is important in adverse weather. The material is a high-denier fabric, which makes it fend off trees, shrubs, and will provide some protection from ski edges in the backcountry, all very important for New England skiing. The standard 2-layer Gore-tex (the new version has XCR) works fine and I haven't overheated too much yet. Generous pit zips dump heat very well. The zippers are taped, and there is a plethora of external and internal storage pockets. The hood fits over a helmet and provides good coverage. The dri-clime lined pockets and neck are very comfortable and feel great against the skin.

Cons: Weight. It is definitely not the lightest technical shell out there, but I traded off weight for bombproof construction. It is only Gore-Tex (not XCR), but again, at the price I got the jacket, no complaints. By itself, not overly warm, but that is the basis for it being a shell.

I own 5 pieces of Marmot clothing (yes I am a Marmot junkie): this shell, a Driclime Windjacket, Mountain Down Jacket, and 2 pairs of Flash Pants. Marmot technical clothing is designed with functionality and price in mind, and I could not be happier with my Rubicon.

Marmot Men's Rubicon Jacket

The Men's Rubicon Jacket has been discontinued.

The Marmot Men's Rubicon Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 1, 2016 at REI.

If you're looking for a new waterproof jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review