I scored this jacket (Fall 2006 model, black color)…

Fabric: Marmot Membrain Shell
Fill: N/A (driclime lining for pockets and neck)

I scored this jacket (Fall 2006 model, black color) off of Ebay for $79. Scored can't be understated because it retails for $300. I've been looking for a shell to replace a Patagonia 6 Chuter Shell that I've used for a couple years that just didn't seem right to me the whole time in terms of fit: it was too tight in the shoulders, and too short.

I bought the Rubicon for lift-served skiing, and plan on using it for backcountry as well, though tend to use more breathable softshells for that unless the weather is forecast to be poor.

Pros: Fit. The Rubicon fits over my hips, which to me, is important in adverse weather. The material is a high-denier fabric, which makes it fend off trees, shrubs, and will provide some protection from ski edges in the backcountry, all very important for New England skiing. The standard 2-layer Gore-tex (the new version has XCR) works fine and I haven't overheated too much yet. Generous pit zips dump heat very well. The zippers are taped, and there is a plethora of external and internal storage pockets. The hood fits over a helmet and provides good coverage. The dri-clime lined pockets and neck are very comfortable and feel great against the skin.

Cons: Weight. It is definitely not the lightest technical shell out there, but I traded off weight for bombproof construction. It is only Gore-Tex (not XCR), but again, at the price I got the jacket, no complaints. By itself, not overly warm, but that is the basis for it being a shell.

I own 5 pieces of Marmot clothing (yes I am a Marmot junkie): this shell, a Driclime Windjacket, Mountain Down Jacket, and 2 pairs of Flash Pants. Marmot technical clothing is designed with functionality and price in mind, and I could not be happier with my Rubicon.