Marmot Scree Pant

These are fairly light so can be used in warmer weather.

Price Paid: $69 on sale

Summary

These are fairly light so can be used in warmer weather. The factory DWR is very good but I haven't had them long enough to know how long it lasts. Good wind resistance and fast drying. Great in colder weather as they flex over a base layer well. Not insulated at all tho.

Pros

• Comfortable and flex without that polyester leisure suit feeling
  • Good comfort with elastic in the waistband

Cons

• On the thin side for winter use

Oops, I pretty much said it all in the summary.

These are great stretchy, warm pants for cool conditions.

Summary

These are great stretchy, warm pants for cool conditions. They are very wind resistant and withstand a ton of abuse.

Pros

• Good fit
  • Stretch
  • Zip cuffs

Cons

• Needs more lighter colors
  • Ankle elastic a little irritating at times.

I don't think they would do well in temps above the 60s (F) because they're pretty warm, but they do breathe well.

I can only speak to fit and not function although…

Summary

I can only speak to fit and not function although it was immediately obvious that the Scree is very well made with quality materials. They also offer as little restriction as you could possibly want and are soft against your skin. Impressive pants.

I ordered the Screes after a lot of research. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the size I wear available at any local retailers to try on in advance. When they arrived I was stoked. While they were fine in the butt, and the very forgiving elastic made them comfortable in the waist, they were too baggy for my taste. I have pretty big legs and bagginess isn't usually a problem.

I called over to a store and got someone on the floor who knew about the Screes. He said they tend to run loose in the legs. He suggested the Marmot Rockstar as an alternative which uses the same M3 material but has a more low-profile cut.

These are still excellent pants and would do as well over a base layer as they would under a hard shell.  I just prefer a little more fit in the legs. The Rockstar delivered that and I'll be doing a review once I've got them out there a bit.

Of course, as it is whenever you're talking about cars, body types and tastes, your mileage may vary.

rob5073

I have the Scree pants and they have great articulation in the knees. Very comfortable to wear.

1 year ago
T.J.

Yeah...they definitely move with you, huh? The Rockstars I ended up getting, and reviewed on here, just provided a little better fit for me. Either way, I'm going to keep going with Marmot softshell pants. Only way to travel.

1 year ago

I ordered these pants off of Sierra Trading Post's…

I ordered these pants off of Sierra Trading Post's site and wore them around the house to see whether or not they were worthy of keeping. The fit, material, comfort and look of the Marmot Scree Pants put them at the top of the chart.

The first chance to get them outdoors came on a car camping trip with my wife down to Cape May, NJ. They were a hit but I never really had the chance to put them through their paces (so to speak).

Last weekend I took them on a backpacking trip to Bear Mountain/Harriman State Park in New York with two of my friends. I started out wearing a pair of OR pants (I cannot remember the name) because it was a warm day (I'll try using the Scree's exclusively the next time I have the chance). After arriving at our shelter the next day, a front came through and it got significantly windier and definitely colder. Perfect.

Now it was time to break out the Scree Pants and put them to the test. I instantly realized their wind resistant properties and the soft interior not only felt nice on my skin but created the warmth securing properties I was hoping for in these pants. They allowed me to wear my own belt (so I could hang my Leatherman), resisted stains and made my friends jealous.

If you purchase these you will not regret it. I am a 50 year old man, 6' 225 lbs and the Large pair fit me quite well. As a former U.S. Army Special Forces chaplain who now owns his own home remodeling business whose been backpacking/camping/being outdoors for 37+ years now--you can trust these words. Enjoy!

OK, so I got the black Marmot Scree Pants 3 months…

OK, so I got the black Marmot Scree Pants 3 months ago and have been wearing them around town to see how they fit and I can say that they are a very good design.... BUT just wearing them around is really not enough to fully understand what these pants are worth so we went to North Fork and did some hiking and kayaking for 4 days and I found that these pants are truly the very best 4 season pants on the market and I'm buying the grey ones as soon a I can.

They kept me warm, they have a stretch quality kinda like a soft shell jacket, they are stretchy and bend with every movement. I am 5 foot 11 inches and I got the Medium/Reg. These are the best on the market!

I recommend winter hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, summer hiking, climbing etc. This is an all around pair of pants.

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All Scree Pant versions

In addition to the 5 men's reviews above, there are 2 reviews for other versions of the Scree Pant. Read all reviews »

If you've owned or used a Marmot Men's Scree Pant, please share your experience.

Marmot Men's Scree Pant