Marmot Start House Jacket

Great synthetic puffy. Now that I have three children…

Summary

Great synthetic puffy.

Pros

• Durable shell and lining
  • Thermal R insulation is very warm
  • Fit is spot on, at least for me

Cons

• A little on the heavy side

Now that I have three children at home, my gear budget is nearly nonexistent. I was ecstatic to find several Marmot pieces at the local Ross/TJ Maxx.

Let me preface by saying I've tried several jackets from TNF, Eddie Bauer, and Marmot. When looking for a piece of gear, the one that can pull double, or triple duty, is the one I'm going to purchase. My primary use for a puffy, this year, is as an insulating layer while downhill skiing once or twice a week. My secondary use would be for general wear, with backpacking coming in third.

I do always try to get the lightest weight piece I can, but without sacrificing durability. Durability is the primary reason the Start House won this season's jacket search. The outer shell is constructed of 1.4 oz./yd nylon ripstop and appears to be quite durable.

One of the other jackets I tried was the Marmot Zeus 800 fill down puffy.  Though it was slightly warmer, and weighed 5 oz. less, the outer shell felt much lighter than that of the Start House. Seeing as the jacket would be worn skiing, I was concerned what the random wipe out would do to the shell and internal baffles.  The Start House weighed 18.4 oz on my scale at home, the Zeus, 13.5.

I ended up settling on the medium in Team Red. The small fit me perfectly with just a light base layer beneath, but, even with the Angle Wing sleeve design, the sleeves rode up my wrists slightly. The medium allows me to layer a snug fitting 200 weight fleece along with a base layer beneath the jacket.  The wrists have an elastic band to block out drafts, and, the waist has an adjustable elastic hem.  The neck of the small was also snug, whereas, the medium doesn't feel snug unless I have my thickest baselayer and fleece on.

Pocket-wise, the Start House has two handwarmer pockets that might interfere with a harness — they appear low (I haven't worn it with a pack yet). There are also exterior and interior napoleon pockets.

Marmot's DWR has worked quite well the past three weeks. I've worn the Start House as an outer layer both hiking and downhill skiing in wet snow when temps were in the low 30's. The DWR beaded water well and I could notice no wetness whatsoever after skiing for a little over two hours. Even after catching an edge, I noticed no wetness or damage to the shell.

As an insulating layer, the Start House worked very well downhill skiing with a light base layer and thin fleece beneath, and a Sierra Designs shell on top with temps in the 20s.

When all is said and done, I feel I made the right choice, given my primary use of the piece. I would recommend the Start House for someone wanting to place durability over weight.

Chances are, you'll find yourself reaching for the Marmot Men's Start House Insulated Jacket more days of the week than not, especially between October and March. This jacket is stuffed with Thermal R insulation for lofty warmth and made with Angel-Wing Movement so you have complete freedom of motion.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Marmot Men's Start House Jacket DECENT FEATURES of the Marmot Men's Start House Jacket Thermal R Insulation Zip Hand warmer Pockets Zip Chest Pocket Elastic Bound Cuffs Interior Zip Pocket DriClime Lined Collar Elastic Draw Cord Hem Angel-Wing Movement The SPECS of the Marmot Men's Start House Jacket Weight: 1 lb 4 oz / 567 g Regular fit Material: 100% Nylon Ripstop DWR 1.4 oz/yd

CLOSEOUTS . On the outside, Marmot's Start House jacket has smooth, but durable DWR-treated ripstop fabric that slides easily under a hard shell. Underneath, low-bulk Thermal R insulation seals out the cold, and because Thermal R is teamed up with an Angel-Wing Movement construction, your range of motion won't be restricted. Available Colors: BLACK, COBALT BLUE, BRIGHT GRASS. Sizes: S, M, L, XL, 2XL.

- Sierra Trading Post

When the temperatures are in the single digits and you need some extra insulation under your shell, zip up in the Marmot Start House Jacket for men. This mid-layer jacket is made from Thermal R lightweight, synthetic insulation, which locks in heat and keeps you warm even when the material gets wet. Ripstop nylon on the outside offers rugged protection, and the durable water repellent wicks and sheds droplets and flakes. A DriClime lined collar prevents chafing and feels comfortable against your skin. Elastic-bound cuffs and a drawcord hem help to seal out chilly drafts, and zip hand-warmer pockets offer warm shelter for your mitts. Angel-Wing Movement gives your arms a full range of motion without causing the jacket to ride up and expose your midriff to the wintry air. An interior zip pocket provides storage for your keys or ID, and the zip chest pocket is a great place to keep your chapstick close at hand.

- Altrec Outlet

For those who like technical ski gear that looks good enough to wear around town, Marmot offers the subtle styling of the men's Sidehill Component Jacket. A fully-featured MemBrain? waterproof/breathable shell and removable polyester fleece liner work well alone or in tandem for excellent all-mountain protection. Ample zippered pockets are prepared for anything; powder skirt and elastic drawcord hem seal out snow.

- RockCreek

Marmot Start House Jacket

The Marmot Start House Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 14, 2014 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new synthetic insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.