Marmot Super Mica Jacket

The best raincoat is the one you have with you. This…

Summary

The best raincoat is the one you have with you. This jacket is so light there is never a reason not to carry it. However, I carry it only when I don't really expect significant rain. This is because it is so light that it is not really a hard shell—a little wind blows it against your skin/base layer, making it colder than a stiff hard shell. If I know it will rain, I would carry a heavier, stiffer jacket or at least a fleece to keep this jacket off my arms.

Pros

• Pit zips

Cons

• It is colder than a true hard shell in wet, windy conditions
  • It starts to wet out faster than I would expect for a new rain coat
  • At $200, this is pricy for the value

I am a fan of Marmot clothing because it frequently offers the best balance of ultralight weight, performance and price.  This jacket pushes the envelope a bit in that it is SO LIGHT that it barely performs its function. I refer to the very-thin fabric that, in a wind, hugs my arms and makes me colder than I would be with my Arc'teryx Alpha SL

If I know it will rain, I will carry the extra weight of the Arc'teryx or perhaps my very-old Marmot Precip.  I am not unhappy with the jacket, but its function is limited to hikes where it MIGHT rain. I would recommend it, but only if you have the $$ to spare for this limited functionality.

If you've owned or used a Marmot Super Mica Jacket, please share your experience.

Marmot Super Mica Jacket