Marmot Talus

We have had Marmot Talus daypacks since about 2000,…

Price Paid: Bought on closeout from STP, cost unknown.

We have had Marmot Talus daypacks since about 2000, still going strong. My pack was the large and hers was a medium, nice fit for us both.

The pack has nice shoulder pads, sternum strap, and a padded waist belt. Dual daisy chain webs go down the back of the pack, very hand for me.  There are compression straps on both sides to squish the pack are carry gear on the outside of the pack. Two mesh water bottle pockets on each side, two bellows expanding back pockets, a padded sunglass pocket, and the large main compartment. Inside the main compartment there is a key holder, a mini pocket and a large mesh hydration pocket.

The padding on the back panel is minimal and does not vent the best in hot summer use.  The cloth, stiching, padding and zippers have all held up great. The only failure has been the elastic draw cords on the top of the mesh water bottle pockets have lost their elasticity.  The minor issues are the rain covers over the zippers should have been a little larger. The back padding/panel could be designed somewhat better.

We use the Talus daypacks for our snowshoeing, backcounty XC skiing, hiking, weekenders, Geocacheing etc...

This pack had everything I wanted. Lots of room, padding…

Size: 2200?
Number of Pockets: 3
Max. Load Carried: 35
Height of Owner: 5'8"

This pack had everything I wanted. Lots of room, padding etc.

The big drawback, which is why I won't recommend it, is that the hand loop is part of the shoulder harness. For me this is in conflict with my neck when trying to shift the pack upwards. I also can't lean my head back because of it. I end up usually looking down.

Make sure you keep the tags on and wear it around the house as often and as long as you can before using it. Once the tags are off there is no return.

I suggest you look at something else :(

I am

A great pack. Made for people with a shorter torso...I'm…

Design: Internal Day Pack
Size: 1800-2300
Number of Pockets: 2 1/2 Outside-1 Inside
Max. Load Carried: 40lbs
Height of Owner: 6'-1"

A great pack. Made for people with a shorter torso...I'm 6'-1" with a pretty well proportioned back and it's just right with the shoulder straps loosened all the way. I regularly use this in the winter with skis or snowshoes lashed to it. I even use it for overnight camping trips with the tent lashed to the outside...still comfortable. You can jam a bunch of crap inside and it still keeps its shape very well. Great little pack if you're not too big.

I have owned my Talus for six years with no problems.

I have owned my Talus for six years with no problems. It is the best pack I have ever owned, and I have owned more than a few. I would recommend it to anyone who skis, hikes, or even just travels a lot. Mine has been around the world twice.

If you've owned or used a Marmot Talus, please share your experience.

Marmot Talus

The Talus has been discontinued.

The Marmot Talus is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 9, 2007 at US Outdoor Store.