Marmot Terraplane

I recently returned my old Dana Designs Terraplane…

Design: top loading internal
Size: 5300
Number of Pockets: 2
Max. Load Carried: It's still in the box
Height of Owner: 6'0"

I recently returned my old Dana Designs Terraplane X to Marmot (who purchased Dana Designs a few years ago), and they were more than happy to honor the lifetime warranty and send me a new Marmot Terraplane.

Upon receipt of the new pack I was instantly disappointed with the overall quality of the product and inferior design changes; the torso length is no longer adjustable, side access zippers have been removed, two separate large vertical outer pockets have been replaced with two overlaid pouches, and the overall integrity of the pack appears unsound due to stitch quality, strap design, and lesser quality pack fabric.

Although the new Marmot line consists of more affordable products, it is obvious that Marmot is able to sell this pack for $350 because they've removed $200 in quality.

The manufacturing on the Fall 06 version of this pack…

Design: top-loading internal
Size: 5300 cubic inched
Number of Pockets: 1 main, 2 front, 1 top
Max. Load Carried: 60 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'6"

The manufacturing on the Fall 06 version of this pack is very poor. As I pulled it out from the car fully loaded for the first time the shoulder strap just busted off. Then I picked it up by the other strap and it busted off. I was headed on a ferry to Isle Royale NP and luckily a kind ranger found some sailor's thread on the ship and stitched the straps to the pack. I loved the rest of the pack design, but I think they need to stop making these packs in Asia, or improve the quality of manufactaring. A shame for Marmot!

Marmot Terraplane

The Terraplane has been discontinued.

The Marmot Terraplane is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 5, 2009 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.