Best Parka. Thank you, Marmot! Pros: WARMTH! Let me…
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $400 CDN
Best Parka. Thank you, Marmot!
- WARMTH! Let me keep it simple, in -40 Celsius w/ wind-chill, you won't complain about the weather, as long as you put on the hoody and a good scarf, and good gloves of course. Sometime when it's super windy like 30KM/h wind, you do feel the wind around the elbow a little, but this will keep you warm for sure!
- QUALITY! Top new material, zippers are great, I love the velcros quality. The inside heat reflecting material is definitely my favorite! The outer membrane is very easy to clean, doesn't matter if it's salt, dirt or small coffee stain, wipe it with a wet cloth and it's like new again. (TRUST ME, MY DOG LOVES TO BITE MY SLEEVES.)
- It's 650 filled, goose down, better than CG's cheap 625 duck down! Bought this from eBay at a lower price. At first I was dubious about the quality. I wanted to get the CG Expedition, I hesitated so much, but when I read the reviews on this website, knew how poor CG's quality has became and how expensive it is, I decided to buy the Thunder Bay Parka.
- Urban style: I walk my dog with this parka. The pockets are great! It has at least 10 pockets. I never really used all of them. Upper left one is big enough to fit in my Note 3 phone, upper right one is for my wallet. The inner pockets are really not for bulky items, but you can put the gloves in to keep them warm.
- It doesn't look bulky. I am slim athletic. I normally wear M, I have long arms and legs, I measure 1.78M; I had to go with size small; fits very slightly bigger, but it’s a winter coat, doesn’t matter much.
- The hand pockets are too low. It would be a masterpiece if the hand pockets could be raised around waist level.
I have a German Shepherd dog, and this parka saved my life in the coldest winter in 115 years. Knowing how cold the 2013-2014's winter was, I decided that I need a parka for this winter.
At first I wasn’t sure about the quality. I walk the dog 2 hours/day, never got sick a single day. I live in Montreal. We had the coldest February in 2015 in 155 years. This is the parka that I would recommend to my loved ones.