Marmot Vapor 30

First, I found this pack in the "bargain bin" of returns/scratch…

Design: panel loading medium size
Size: 35L
Number of Pockets: 3plus 2waterbottle
Max. Load Carried: 40+
Height of Owner: 5'10"
Price Paid: $70 EMS Clearance

First, I found this pack in the "bargain bin" of returns/scratch and dent/outdated etc at my local EMS (Rochester, NY). Apparently EMS never even carried the product, but since someone returned it and insisted that they be given store credit in return, EMS swallowed the loss, and I got a BRAND NEW WITH TAGS backpack for less than half of retail price.

This is not my first piece of Marmot gear, but it's my first serious Marmot purchase. It will be the first of many. The pack is simply the most comfortable I've ever worn. It's funny how it sucked me into a "fast and light" philosophy. I find myself wanting to carry less, wanting to move faster, wanting to go farther. And like Dana Design's packs which Marmot's parent company K2 recently acquired and shifted marketing to Marmot's hands, the pack has the best suspension system in the business.

Really, no pictures online give this pack its due. The chest buckle slides up and down to resize using this innovative structure that I would compare to a spine. The most comfortable and easily adjustable strapping system I've ever used. The waist belt adjusts using a two-point strap system, which is visible in the pictures. Simply, this makes adjusting your belt the most intuitive and error-proof task ever. I adjust it regularly, to each activity, as each adjustment makes it just slightly more comfortable for my degree and range of movement.

I've strapped a lot to this thing. My TNF Tadpole 23 tent, sleeping bag, therm-a-rest, and some clothes inside. WAY TOO BIG for the pack, but with enough tie downs, the suspension system carries it just fine. I noticed something on the "care" tag inside the bag. It lists the item as a Backpack/Harness. That's exactly how it feels. Like a harness. It's that secure and that comfortable.

I've danced A LOT in this pack. My center of gravity is always predictable. I start to feel like my pack is an extension of my body when it's really attached well. The waterproof-ness is remarkable. The outside smaller pockets are entirely waterproof as far as I can tell. they were exposed to about two hours of torrential downpour and I didn't find a drop. The main compartment seems reasonably waterproof.

I can't recommend this enough. I know there's stuff I'm missing. Knowing what I know, I would say REI's price of $100 is totally fair. I'm considering buying the larger Vapor 35, but right now I'm enjoying my self-inflicted smaller loads. I can't take this pack off. Oh, and the hydration sleeve holds my 100oz Camelbak.

Description of Marmot Vapor 30 BackpackWhen you have quick hikes and trail runs in mind, you need a like-minded pack for the adventure. Large enough to carry everything you need for a day's outing, the Marmot Vapor Daypack features an air cut waist belt, 2 water bottle pockets and adjustable dual ice axe loops. Air cut padding lets the breeze flow through to help you from overheating. Vapor is the light and easy way to reach your final destination. Stay cool and comfortable when you hike with the Marmot Vapor 30.Features:Sizes: Medium and large Body: 210d Broken twill nylon and 70d silicon nylon Reinforcement: 840d HT Nylon Volume: Medium - 1800ciLarge - 2000ci Weight: Medium - 2lb 8ozLarge: 2lb 11oz Air cut gold backpanel Air cut waist belt Dual density, S-Shaped shoulder straps Hollow core 7075 aluminum stays 2 water bottle pockets Adjustable dual ice axe loops Light reflective logo

- US Outdoor Store

Free Shipping. Marmot Vapor 30 Pack (Spring 2006) Light and trim, the Vapor 30 by Marmot is a panel loader perfect for day hikes, ski touring or cragging. Air Cut Gold back panel Air Cut waist belt Hollow core 7075 aluminum stays Dual density, S-curved shoulder straps Two water bottle pockets Adjustable dual ice axe loops Light reflective logo Body: 210d Broken Twill Nylon and 70d Silicone Nylon Reinforcement: 860d HT Nylon Volume: M: 1800 ci/30 l L: 2000 ci/33l Weight: M: 2lb 8 oz/1.1 kg L: 2lb 11 oz/2.1 kg

This light and trim technical pack from Marmot excels during a variety of ''done-in-a-day'' activities— from hiking to ski touring to cragging! Panel-loading main compartment provides room for lunch, jacket and other gear; two front pockets hold small essentials. Two hollow, lightweight 7075 aluminum stays provide support and torsional stiffness. Side water bottle pockets allow convenient, on-the-go hydration, (water bottles sold separately). Adjustable gear loops let you lash on ice axes or clip on extra gear, keeping items within easy reach. Constructed from 210-denier broken twill nylon and 70-denier silicone nylon; reinforced with 840-denier HT nylon. Hydration-compatible design features reservoir pocket and drink tube exit port for on-the-go hydration (reservoir sold separately). Closeout.

Staying light and cool are the priorities of this durable top-loading ruck pack. Slightly smaller than the Vapor 35. Best use: fast hiking. Air Cut padding on waistbelt and back panel is refreshingly breathable. Back panel is shaped to distribute the pack's load over a greater area of the back's middle and lumbar regions for increased comfort and stability. Hollow core 7075 aluminum stays; lightweight, durable stays. Two pockets each hold quart-size water bottles. Adjustable dual ice axe loops for carrying ice tools the traditional way. Dual-density, S-shaped shoulder straps for increased comfort.

- EMS

Marmot Vapor 30

The Vapor 30 has been discontinued.

The Marmot Vapor 30 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 8, 2007 at US Outdoor Store.

If you're looking for a new daypack (under 2,000 cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.