Masters Kompressor 145

I've been backpacking twice a year for about 15+ years…

I've been backpacking twice a year for about 15+ years in the Smokey Mt. Range and once in the Tetons, so I put all my equipment to the test.

I liked the KP-145 for its weight, balance and sturdiness in supporting me when I needed to lean on them (I’m a rather big guy 6’2” 210 lbs). The poles spring design also helped me climb long uphill switchbacks.

Overall the design seems good except for one thing (in my case anyway); I sweat profusely. After a long 6 to 10 mile hike my sweat constantly runs down my arms, off my hands and consequently down the trekking pole.

The KP-145’s were working great until about the 3rd year when I discovered that the salt (sodium) from my sweat had built up inside the telescoping tubes and totally corroded the aluminum expansion threads and literally fused the red plastic locking ring to the aluminum threads. The result was that I could no longer adjust the poles length. Unfortunately I had them totally collapsed when I discovered it seized and couldn’t use it that way (too short).

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me where (if) I can find replacements parts for the poles. I really liked them and would hate to throw them out. Thanks.

John Newman – Oxford, Ohio

The shock-absorbing Masters Kompressor 145 Trekking Poles give taller folk dependable strength on the trail as well as versatility to take you from red rocks to powder with a quick switch of the baskets. These trekking poles employ Masters shock-absorbing Kompressor system. The Kompressor spring in the handle switches on for shock absorption to ease descents and quickly locks in place for rigid stability on your next climb. The Super Blocking System provides quick and easy length adjustment for changing grades and breaks down to a compact size when you need to strap the Kompressor 145s to your pack. Get a grip on the comfortable T6 ergonomic cork handle for purchase when the going gets tough. The replaceable 55- and 95-millimeter baskets give you versatility whether you head for the desert or the snow-capped peaks.

- Backcountry Outlet

Masters Kompressor 145

The Masters Kompressor 145 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 7, 2008 at Backcountry Outlet.

If you're looking for a new rigid trekking pole, check out the best reviewed current models.