I needed to replace my Meindl Borneos (a great lighter…

Materials: full-grain leather
Use: backpacking, mountaineering
Break-in Period: Wear them everywhere but hiking for a while (few weeks, a month?)...then take them on a hike.
Weight: not light

I needed to replace my Meindl Borneos (a great lighter weight boot) and wanted something durable that would excel in the harshest hiking and backpacking conditions--desert, off-trail scrambling in rough, rocky terrain, high mountains/alpine environment, even some rock climbing, etc. While I like to keep my gear as light and minimalist, I believe that boots should be durable and supportive.

I've had my Gufferts for 3.5+ years and they fit the bill great. I have wide and medium volume feet. For a the best fit I use Smartwool's mountaineering sock or a wool trekking sock and a liner sock. So if you have narrow and/or low volume feet, these probably aren't the boot for you.

I use these for all of my hiking, except for canyoneering in a wet canyon (if the canyon is dry, or I won't be wading all the time, I'll wear my Gufferts). They were great for a 5.6 backcountry climb.

The support is great, as is the sole's grip. They have a nice rocker.

The Guffert has been discontinued, if someone is looking for something comparable, I'd recommend considering Meindl's Perfekt (which is a heavier weight boot in the same category).

I have tried 4 other brands of boots before this one…

Materials: leather/leather
Use: off trail - Canadian shield
Break-in Period: 3 weeks
Price Paid: $315 CDN

I have tried 4 other brands of boots before this one and none compare. I will never go back. 6 weeks - 10 km/day through swamp and over outcrop and they are the first boots I haven't trashed (in previous years my Asolo's were falling apart after 2 weeks and Montrails were falling apart after one month). I love the leather interior and stitched soles. During break in the were tough but are now like slippers. The only problem I've had is I tore an eyelet off, but that was more me than anything, and they have a waranty.

Meindl Guffert

No price on record.

The Meindl Guffert is not available from the stores we monitor.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review