Meindl Nepal Pro

Best boots I have ever owned. Just about dying now…

Price Paid: €220 in 2000 in Ireland

Summary

Best boots I have ever owned. Just about dying now after 12 years of use and 3 resoles! Talk about value for money, despite high initial price. I'll miss them.

Pros

• Comfort and versatility
  • Bang per buck
  • Tough and rugged

Cons

• Slightly heavy
  • Replaced the stock insole with Superfeet
  • Laces broke...once...in 12 years!

I have used and abused my trusty Meindl Nepal Pros for the last twelve years in the wet, boggy Irish hills, Scottish winter (including grade II winter climbs), easy summer alpine climbing, multi-day backpacking, easy rock climbing, family woodland walks, gardening — you name it, they have done it admirably.

The rand is perished, the leather on the forefoot is looking quite scuffed and gashed, they are on their third resole (with non-standard Vibram soles), their second pair of laces and, unfortunately, the midsole is starting to disintegrate since rhe last resole so the sole the coming away from the boot in places. Regretfully I have to accept they are coming to the end of their life. They are like old friends and I will miss their company and comfort on the hills.

The only thing we didn't agree with over the years was front pointing on ice, just a bit more flex than was comfortable, but that is beyond their intended use anyway. Otherwise as brilliant and sturdy an all-rounder as you could hope for.

What to replace them with? What else but another pair of Meindls. The Nepal Pro is no longer made but I feel a pair of Makalu Pros will be coming my way soon. I hope the Meindl build quality is still the same and looking forward to another decade or more of Meindl ownership.

Steer clear, comfortable boot but the soles rot in…

Summary

Steer clear, comfortable boot but the soles rot in about 12 months and fall apart

Pros

• Comfort

Cons

• No after sales service, contempt from agents

Soles fall apart and rot after moderate use. After sales service is arrogant and rude. Much better value around and without the attitude of Stager Sports New Zealand. Terrible representative of a once good brand.

I have founds these boots suitables for all activities,…

Materials: leather
Use: lightwieght mountaineering &rough trail w/heavy pack
Break-in Period: several days
Weight: quite heavy
Price Paid: £140

I have founds these boots suitables for all activities, from summer days in the Lake District to month long treks in the Himalayas. Very comfortable due to padding in the ankle areas expecially. Quite high and rigid so give good foot and ankle support. Quite a broad boot and also heavy in comparison to some equivalent boots e.g. Scarpa M3's.

Very comfortable. Those sold in UK have broad fit…

Materials: Leather
Use: rough alpine (Meindl C class, see meindl web site for details www,meindl.de)
Break-in Period: in my experience, a couple of hours round the house plus 1 day light walking
Weight: havent checked, but not excessive
Price Paid: £140 (Jan 2000 in Aviemore, Scotland)

Very comfortable. Those sold in UK have broad fit for shape of average British foot.

Most comfortable fit I have yet found with a boot. Takes crampons without any discomfort to achilles tendon.

Have them for 7 years now! I took them into rainforests,…

Materials: Leather with Gore Tex lining.
Use: (Very) rough trail
Break-in Period: Just a couple of miles/days
Weight: ?

Have them for 7 years now! I took them into rainforests, Alpes, Snowdonia (Wales) and wear them on my motorcycle, all year trough.

Repairs sofar: New soles and a few stitches, I hope to have those superboots for another 7 years!

I climb and hike with them.

Meindl Nepal Pro

The Meindl Nepal Pro is not available from the stores we monitor.