Weight 700g

These are the most comfortable pair of boots (or any…

Price Paid: 300$

Summary

These are the most comfortable pair of boots (or any other shoes) I have ever worn. The Vibram sole is superb, and although they are full leather boots they are relatively light and breathable.
They could easily receive 5 stars, the only reason they didn't is because of one problem that should have been fixed by the manufacturer under warranty.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Sole
  • Weight and breathability
  • Quality

Cons

• Quality

I’ve used these boots for three long distance hikes during a 6-month period, with an average pack weight of 36 pounds. The trails I’ve walked through consisted of bare granite rocks, sandstones, karstic rocks, sand, mud, well you got the idea… Just for a reference I’ve hiked the GR20 in Corsica after completing 1000 k”m with these boots beforehand.

Pros:

Comfort: un-parallel to any other boots or shoes I had in my life, the fit is perfect, the ankle support is tight, the heel has minimum movement, the toe box is roomy enough and there are no dead spaces.

I should mention that I do have narrow feet and I believe that people with wide feet won’t find these boots as comfortable. The structure of the boot and sole gives a kind of forward momentum with every step you take, it kind of pushes you forward, very cool.

Sole: Very durable, it has evident wear to it but it’s still usable, I think for the kind of use it’s been through you couldn’t ask for much more. The grip is fantastic at any type of ground, and the shape of it is useful for more technical trails.

Weight and breathability: Weighing around 700 grams per boot they’re fairly light for this kind of massive boots, and it’s noticeable while hiking, your legs get less tired, they are easier to walk with. Especially on scrambles and uneven terrain, and they give you agility that heavier boots won’t have.

Because I knew I’m going to hike in hot environments I was worried about taking a full leather boots to this journey but as I later found out, this boots breathe well and I never felt too hot in them.

Quality: I set this category both in the pros and the cons and for a good reason, as for the pros, the quality of the leather, stitching, laces and eyelets is superb, as you can see in the "used" photos down below, the leather is intact, the laces are the original ones, and all the eyelets are free of rust.

New (after break-in):

Cons:

Quality: One of the main reasons I chose these boots over the others is the reputation Meindl has. The brand is well known in Europe for their uncompromising quality and workmanship and the company exists since the 17th century. The leather is made out of cows grown in Bavaria, and the shoes are handmade in Italy.

However, the first pair I bought had minor defects in them. One boot had the logo color off the logo imprint and a small part of the sole was detached in the other one. I replaced them right away and got a new pair. During my time at the GR20 I hiked through a downpour and through the small streams it created, unfortunately that’s when I found out that my left boot is not waterproof.

When I returned home I tested it and it did leak. I sent it to the brand’s dealer and they claimed there are no problems and no leaks. This should not happen in boots of this level, and Goretex and the manufacturer should stand behind their warranty. I must say this disappointed me greatly and despite all the other values of this boots I will think twice before re-purchasing them.

Used:

IMG_20170311_154324.jpg
IMG_20170311_154402.jpg

IMG_20170311_154308.jpg
IMG_20170311_154417.jpg

Thanks for another helpful review, Yuvalk! Too bad about the leaking in your pair though. That's disappointing for an otherwise good boot.

Nick Mesarhakis

Still, great boots! Very popular here in Crete too.

Nice review. Thanks for posting it.

Nick Mesarhakis

Is that carbon fiber on the sides?

Yuvalk