Merrell Chameleon 3 Stretch

These hikers are comfortable right out of the box.

Price Paid: $90 USD on sale

Summary

These hikers are comfortable right out of the box. I love the bungee lacing system, the Vibram soles, and the GoreTex waterproofing but they're heavy for a light hiker.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Vibram soles great for traction
  • Easy to get on and off

Cons

• Bungee lace lock slips
  • Hot
  • Heavy
  • Insoles sqeak

First and foremost, these are incredibly comfortable hikers in spite of the fact that they're both hot and heavy.  I love the bungee lacing system but the lock has a tendency to slip and the laces tighten on me during the course of the day.

The one thing that drives me nuts with this pair of Chameleons that I didn't have with my previous pair is that the insoles squeak as I walk. I haven't tried a pair of after-market insoles yet because these are just so damn comfortable, but a pair of Superfeet might solve the problem.

As most reviewers will tell you about anything GoreTex, it's hot and doesn't breathe nearly as well as the manufacturer claims it does. What it does do is keep your feet dry as long as you wear the right socks and don't allow water over the top of the shoe.

Being low-rises, I wouldn't suggest them for long hikes with heavy loads due to lack of ankle support. They're great for day hikers and ultralight/light backpackers covering rough terrain (serious ultralighters would probably say they're way too heavy).

Finally, I love Vibram soles on just about anything. I've seen some reviews that say these soles are slippery on wet rocks but that's been the case with every sole I've had, Vibram or not. I think these soles provide excellent traction in just about any terrain.

To sum everything up, I'd buy them again...and again...and again!

I bought these shoes to take on a 2 month long trip…

Summary

I bought these shoes to take on a 2 month long trip hiking England, Scotland, and Wales. Before I left the USA I had already exchanged one pair of these because the toe caps were falling away from the shoes. I have had the new shoes for just over a year and a half and they are absolutely trashed.

Pros

• Terrible quality

Cons

The elastic laces broke on both shoes, the leather sides are split and cracking allowing copious amounts of water in, and the Vibram soles, which i usually stand behind, utterly are worn to nubs. The antimicrobial soles are worn through.

Overall, I stand behind all of Merrell's outdoor gear, but I will never be buying any more merchandise from this company due to the terrible longevity of these shoes. If i spend $120 on a pair of boots or shoes I want them to last at least 2-3 years before I have to consider replacing.

Just scored a pair and off the rack they fit perfectly.

Just scored a pair and off the rack they fit perfectly. Light and airy-waiting to see if the micro biotic inner really works. Great grip as I went for a trail run straight away.

First pair of Merrells and I'll be back for more. Love the easy on/easy off slip on. No need to adjust the tie cord once a good fit is found.

I would go a 1/2 size larger if you wear thicker socks.

I'm the biggest fan of Merrell, ever since I bought…

I'm the biggest fan of Merrell, ever since I bought my first pair 10 years ago. Since then all I buy is Merrell for walking, hiking, working outside, I have multiple pairs around the house. They never rub, I never get blisters, they don't require any break in. I can buy a pair and walk for miles the same day.

That was until the Chameleon stretch III. This model differs from previous models in that the heel has a solid piece of plastic/inflexible rubber molded up from the sole all the way to the back of the ankle. This then curves around and digs in the back of the ankle with minimal cushioning.

Not sure why they did this as there seems to no use for it, it cannot be broken in. I don't see this feature and consequently the Chameleon III being around for too long. I'm hobbling around with huge sores on the back of my ankles because of the design change.

Actually, this is my first pair of Merrells, and I…

Actually, this is my first pair of Merrells, and I think I really like them, comfy right away. I walked a few miles NO problems. They grip well and have just enough support for a light pack or for fast packing.

I swapped out the elastic strechy cord for plain old laces, but the neoprene sock liner works great, no tongue to bind either... nice!

If you've owned or used a Merrell Chameleon 3 Stretch, please share your experience.

Merrell Chameleon 3 Stretch

The Merrell Chameleon 3 Stretch is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 14, 2013 at Moosejaw.

Weight 2 lb 1 oz