Merrell Chameleon Hex

I've used this particular model from Merrell on two…

Materials: leather
Use: 2 thru-hikes of the PCT 8lb baseweight
Break-in Period: 1 week

I've used this particular model from Merrell on two through hikes. 5,200 miles on 4 pairs, my only complaint is that it took a few other models to find this one!

I averaged anywhere from 1,100 to 1,400 miles on each pair which is incredible. The first thing that always gives on this model is the mesh, which cracks vertically exposing the interior. A little bit of superglue slows this process down a ton. This happens after several hundred miles and isn't a big deal. When the interior heel begins to crack, a bit of duck tape helps to make them last longer, but I've never had a total heel failure, nor has the vibram given way to the point where they cannot be worn. This is all normal when you hike as much as I do.

Incredibly comfortable, breathable, and sturdy, its my shoe of choice for all ultra-lite long distance hikes. Highly recommended.

I haven't been able to really put these sneakers to…

Use: Everything
Break-in Period: None
Weight: 215lbs.

I haven't been able to really put these sneakers to the test. So far so good. Very comfortable, no break in time required. I love the rip cord laces so easy to get tight and hit the trails. They curve to the surface you are travelling over, when climbing rocks they seem to just hug the rock so no slipping. The traction is PHENOMINAL. i was walking through mud and I sank maybe about 2 inches and these shoes gave me every inch of traction i needed to not fall on my face.

I would definitely recommend these to anyone looking for a good hiking shoe.

Just got them and they are great. Had a test run in…

Use: Road/Trail runs Tri Sho
Break-in Period: no break in required

Just got them and they are great. Had a test run in them last night and I have no complaints. Great transition shoe for off road triathletes. Great support and feel on the trail.

If you've owned or used a Merrell Chameleon Hex, please share your experience.

Merrell Chameleon Hex

The Chameleon Hex has been discontinued.

The Merrell Chameleon Hex is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 4, 2011 at Massey's Outfitters.