Merrell Chameleon II Stretch XCR

There are two flavors: regular mesh and XCR - I got…

Materials: Gore-Tex XCR
Use: Around town, wet hiking, dry hiking, light packing
Break-in Period: About 30 seconds
Weight: 2lb, 2oz

There are two flavors: regular mesh and XCR - I got the XCR (Gore-Tex) version.

I'm going to have to agree with the other viewers - these are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. This in large part due to the design of the shoe; with the tongue eliminated, slipping into the shoe is much like slipping on a light neoprene sock as it cradles your foot nicely. I have med-wide feet and these shoes keep me going for miles without blisters or hot spots where others have failed. They are also waterproof (the XCR version), even after prolonged exposure to 2-3 inches of water as a freak squall caught me in a valley once.

Pros:
*Waterproof (XCR version)
*Incredible comfort and fit
*lacing system is a joy
*Wide platform for stability

Cons:
*The rubber toe-bumper portion of sole has begun peeling up
*They don't breathe as well as the non-XCR version

wow, these shoes are terrible. In hindsight I don't…

Use: approach shoe, short hikes.
Break-in Period: 1month

wow, these shoes are terrible. In hindsight I don't know why I bought them. The shortcomings are obvious. There is no rand around the side or (barely) toe to protect against normal wear, so they sustained a lot of damage quickly just from light hiking. The tie mechanism is worthless. I will take shoe strings please. All this is only after three hikes. I returned the shoes and got the Vasque Gore-tex shoes. They are awesome!

i bought these shoes after watching Man vs Wild and…

i bought these shoes after watching Man vs Wild and noticed Bear Grylls wearing them while he tackelled all different types or terrain. So I ordered a pair on-line and am wearing them ever since. I used to have to wear foot inserts b/c of my bad feet, but these shoes support the complete foot giving me greater comfort then I had while using the inserts. Bottom line buy them, you will love them!

The Chameleon II Stretch Gore-Tex XCR is the essence of Chameleon design. All-activity agility, with maximum adaptability to changes in venue, velocity and widest variety of weather.

- RockCreek refers to the men's version

Get sleek waterproof protection and a stretchy, second-skin feel with these multi-sport shoes that are built for lightweight speed and tenacious grip. Slip-lasted, flexible nubuck leather and breathable nylon mesh uppers keep weight low and comfort high. Waterproof and highly breathable Gore-Tex® XCR® gasket construction and Vision™ Gore-Tex® XCR® linings keep out the elements. Injection-molded TPU instep stability straps help lock heels into heel pockets for enhanced performance and to minimize motion inside. Snug Lycra® spandex/neoprene/mesh four-way stretch collars seal around ankles to keep out debris. Instep fit is secured by adjustable elastic cord lacing system with friction cordlock; heel loops aid entry and exit. Removable anatomical footbeds add cushioning to In-Board™ compression-molded EVA midsoles with Air Cushion® heel pockets. Q-Form™ alignment system provides women with a precise anatomical fit for superb, tailored comfort. Tapered nylon midsole supports with injection-molded nylon arch shanks help control flex while enhancing support and protection from rough terrain. Vibram® Chameleon Sport™ outsoles feature Versa and TC1 Dura rubber for superior traction and durability on wet and dry surfaces.

- REI refers to the men's version

Merrell Chameleon II Stretch XCR

The Chameleon II Stretch XCR has been discontinued.

The Merrell Chameleon II Stretch XCR is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 11, 2007 at REI.