Merrell Chameleon Wrap Traveler Gore-tex XCR

Perfect for traveling (if that wasn't obvious already).

Materials: full-grain leather, gore-tex xcr
Use: dayhikes, overnight with medium-weight packs
Break-in Period: virtually nonexistent

Perfect for traveling (if that wasn't obvious already).

These shoes have it all. Full-grain leather with a Gore-Tex XCR lining and Vibram outsole. How could you go wrong? You can't, really.

I've worn these shoes on vacation, around town at home, and on day and overnight hikes. They keep the water out, let your foot breathe, and stick to even moss-covered rocks like they had spikes on the bottom.

My only complaint would be the sizing. I'm a size 13. I don't know about other Merrell shoes, but these 13s were long and wide enough, just a little too deep. Slipping in the insoles from my fire-damaged mid-hikers (don't ask...) made all the difference.

The extra insole padded it nicely, and made it more comfortable, too. Now there's not a place I wouldn't take these.

In the era of Nubuck and split-grain leather, it's refreshing to see a well-designed, thought-out full-grain leather hiker that will probably last me a decade.

Merrell Chameleon Wrap Traveler Gore-tex XCR

The Chameleon Wrap Traveler Gore-tex XCR has been discontinued.

The Merrell Chameleon Wrap Traveler Gore-tex XCR is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 20, 2009 at Sierra Trading Post.