Merrell Embark Glove Gore-Tex

Weight 9.2 oz (Half Pair)
Sizes 7 - 12 (Half Sizes) 13, 14, 15
Materials Synthetic Leather and Mesh Upper, GORE-TEX®

Not as great as I thought they would be. I bought…

Summary

Not as great as I thought they would be.

Pros

• Barefoot style

Cons

• Barefoot style
  • Soft sole

I bought these to try out the barefoot style after having several friend rave about it. The fit of the shoes was good, but they didn't quite live up to the hype.

I could never get comfortable trail running in them because the soles are so soft that you feet every rock and root. I would wind up with bruises on the bottoms of my feet after even short runs. I do wear them casually now and they work pretty good for that.

The Gore-Tex might be a little overkill for this type of shoe. The sides are so low that it wouldn't help with stream crossings but might work in damp grass.

As a disclaimer, I am affiliated with Gore for product testing of Gore-tex products for the purpose of product review and recommendation. I do receive items from Gore for these purposes.

flembacca

For the barefoot style, the feel of the ground is to be expected. The New Balance 110 has a rock plate specifically to deal with the problem for those making a transition into barefoot running. This transition involves allowing a foot to naturally restrengthen while losing its dependency on heavier supportive shoes. The Gore-tex in the shoe should be perfect for those accustomed to running with minimalist runners on a rainy day, through a dew covered field in the morning, or even a snowy sidewalk in the later fall.

Merrell Embark Glove Gore-Tex

The Merrell Embark Glove Gore-Tex is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 24, 2014 at Mountain Gear.