Merrell Continuum

I think these shoes were designed without a practical…

Price Paid: $140 (AUS on sale)

Summary

I think these shoes were designed without a practical purpose and purely for aesthetics. They're not as good as other water based adventure shoes out there, they are terrible trail shoes as dirt and sand flood into them, and the lacing system breaks rendering the shoes useless, and forget the idea that you can use them for track or the gym as the support required is absent.

Pros

• They look tough.
  • Slightly better than bare feet for protection.
  • Look good

Cons

• They're not tough.
  • Don't protect your feet from much.
  • Fall apart.

I'm an avid trail runner/ gym junkie/ fitness lunatic and live in Far Northern Australia which is abundant with trails in which Angels fear to tread, Devils walk cautiously, and the rest of us run at breakneck speed plugged into our music whilst dodging flora that want to maim and fauna that want to kill. We have an infamous race called the Great Pyramid Race, which is sheer lunacy no matter what speed you travel.

Now let me make a comment on the Merrell Continuum.

Firstly, they look great on the shelf. I've owned several Merrell shoes and found them to be excellent. I accepted the salesgirl's blurb that they were designed specifically for the type of terrain that abounds in the area, and which is notoriously hard on shoes and muscles and bones. So as they were on special, I coughed up the $140, and couldn't wait to tear up a few trails that had claimed other shoes.

So, as I'm (arguably) not completely stupid, I took them to a minor run to break them in. I tried them in several other environments and have made the following observations:

They are comfortable in the same way paddle boarding is more comfortable than canoeing. But putting some effort into them and they quickly become as responsive and supportive in the same way as a paddle boarder without a paddle, suffering from exhaustion.

After the first 4km run which took all of 25 minutes at 1/2 pace, made the lacing system look very dodgy, and I found that I was trying to adjust the laces continually as they didn't want to settle in the place they should but tended to tighten at the top instead of evenly throughout the foot.

I was fortunate that the track was majority pressed earth, but I noted that the shoes let leeches through very easily, and was relieved that the sloppy nature of the fit allowed them easy removal without disturbing the leeches too much.

The next time I used them was a simple 6km run with the dog on paved surface, which I turned around after about 500m as the 4-yr-old Nike Frees are just so much more comfy and responsive.

The next time was a mixed terrain sand, mud, path, work event. Usually I use old fashioned Timberland leather shoes which I get a lot of negative criticism over as they are nearly as hip as blowing a snot bubble while reciting your wedding vows. If you decided to create a shoe to make concrete, this is what you'd create. After allowing plenty of small twigs and powdered leaf matter to enter, they then accepted a significant amount of sand, and then mud, this doesn't happen straight away, it all seeps in gradually, yet rapidly. The effect is that soon you're walking around with concrete boots, and trying to wash the stuff out is only achieved through determination and effort.

So after a little torture over a period of 22 days, they're looking like the type of shoes that might be issued to clowns undertaking military basic training. I notice now that they seem to be a discontinued product, which really is for the best.

Welcome to Trailspace, Stu! Your review was both informative and entertaining. Leeches???

Bought as part of the new season launch in October…

Price Paid: £100

Summary

Bought as part of the new season launch in October 2013 in UK. I paid £100 and they lasted nine months. Very disappointed. They were the second pair of Merrells I've purchased that have not even lasted a year. Won't be buying Merrell again.

Pros

• Initially comfortable
  • Good looks

Cons

• Weak construction
  • Poor soles
  • Lace system also weak

Spent a hefty sum for the men's Merrell Continuum shoes as I walk around 5-6 miles every day, so wanted a decent pair. Although very comfortable, they have only lasted nine months. The tread has worn away, the inside of both heels has split open and the lace eyelets have broken too.

Very disappointed in these and it's no wonder they're not part of the new season! They're also not very breathable and the Vibram soles do not grip very well at all...especially in wet weather!

I've always had to buy a size above my usual size with Merrells and as the last two have let me down badly, I won't be going out of my way to buy the same brand again.

Welcome to Trailspace, Gary. Sounds like these shoes are a dud.

Welcome to Trailspace, Gary. I hope you're able to find some trail or running shoes that work out for all of your miles.

Although initially delighted with the shoes, they…

Price Paid: CHF129

Summary

Although initially delighted with the shoes, they are not made to last. They are supposed to be outdoor shoes but fail to deliver!

Pros

• Very comfortable

Cons

• Inferior material used
  • Expensive and not good value for money
  • No support from customer services

The fastening system that incorporates straps on the side of the shoes have all snapped within 6 months, thus making the shoes unwearable.

Expensive and disappointing. Will be buying another brand in future.

Very comfortable trail shoe for everyday life. I live…

Summary

Very comfortable trail shoe for everyday life. I live in these shoes from office to roof to trail. And after a year they show no wear and tear especially the "Vibram" soles.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Durablity
  • Tread

Cons

• Mine are not waterproof

The height and fit of these are great. Extremely comfortable for everyday wear. Nicely cushioned with no added aftermarket insoles. I feel no issues with the support it provides. Traction wise the Vibram soles are great in any environment.

The breathability of these is one of the main reasons for my purchase. I wear these for work in extreme hot climate conditions and feet are always cool.

Express my disappointment and complain the super bad…

Price Paid: HKD1000 approx.

Summary

Express my disappointment and complain the super bad quality of my Merrell's womens footwear. It is really terrible and unacceptable that the plastic grips are spallation easily like this!!

Re: Complaint - Bad quality Merrell

I would like to express my disappointment and complain the super bad quality of my Merrell's women's footwear (model: Merrell Continuum Performance footwear - Womens femme 1205 & 83640) which I washed last night.

The plastic grip on both sides of pair of shoes was mammocking and scraps of plastic have come off from them!!  I cannot believed the quality of this branded Merrell pair of shoes is such fragile and non-durable even this is an old model and bought it for few years, but it is really unacceptable that the plastic grips are spallation easily like this!!

Merrell Continuum

The Merrell Continuum is not available from the stores we monitor.