Merrell Mesa Ventilator II

I consider these to be my go-to general purpose outdoor…

Materials: nylon uppers with leather trim, vibfam sole
Use: day hikes, maybe backpacking for ultra light backpackers, rough terrain, anyplace requiring good traction
Break-in Period: none!
Weight: 15.5 ounces for one shoe

Summary

I consider these to be my go-to general purpose outdoor shoes. Whether going on a day hike or even just car camping, I use these for their comfort and good gripping soles. I don't find them suitable for longer hikes, especially on rocky trails, but otherwise they are a great for general purpose use.

Pros

• Good gripping soles

Cons

• Not enough protection underfoot for rocky trails
  • Not waterproof

For a long time I've been wanting something other than my New Balance or Sketcher "sneakers" for light hiking or just romping around in rough terrain. I finally bought a pair of these Merrell Mesa Ventilator II's (though mine are the standard height, not the "mid" height (couldn't find this one in the listing). I don't think this model is made anymore... I found them at the Merrell Outlet store in Vacaville, CA.

I only looked at Merrells because I had a pair of Merrell hiking boots before that I loved ... very comfortable, outstanding traction, etc. These new ones are just like that, though they're more of a shoe than a boot. They're sturdy enough for handling rough terrain. But I probably won't use them when carrying a heavy pack, so for backpacking I'll most likely stick with my heavier regular boots). But for their intended purpose, they're great!

An additional feature of the Mesa Ventilator II is that they are, as the name implies, well ventilated. There are pockets of a thick "mesh"-like material along the sides which help avoid overheating.

I will see how durable they are over time ... I expect they'll get a LOT of use. I eventually had to replace my previous Merrells because they came apart ... something I've read of happening with this brand. Hopefully these will last, and meanwhile I'll enjoy the comfort, the traction, etc.

I rated these a "5" because I consider them "just right" for their intended use - they fill a need for me perfectly. I'm giving Merrell the benefit of the doubt hoping these will stand the test of time.

A grippy, all-terrain hiking shoe for the fast mover. They don't call it the Mesa Ventilator for nothing2outstanding ventilation helps on hot-weather hikes. Pigskin leather upper with breathable mesh panels and tongue. Compression-molded EVA foot frame absorbs shocks and hard landings. Air Cushion midsole for all-day comfort. Nylon arch shank stabilizes foot. Long-lasting Vibram rubber outsole provides excellent grip. Toe bumper. Aggressive 5 mm lug depth.

- EMS

An endless summer essential, whether hiking, biking or hitting the trails. Open-window venting capability that is a Merrell mark is matched with protective components: leather strapping, Benecke Ceraprene® bumpers, and medial and lateral flaring ribs. Vibram® Multi-Sport™ Sole combines Vibram® Trek with the highly durable TC1 Dura compound for exceptional grip and long-wearing properties. End Uses: general outdoor recreation in dry and warm climates; light hikingshorter day hikes on groomed terrain without a pack or a very lightweight pack (less than 10 lbs). - Breathable Mesh Lining - Benecke Ceraprene® Toe Bumper - Breathable Ventilator Bellows Tongue - 7.5mm Narrow Gauge Webbing - 4.5mm Anatomical Footbed - Nylon 6.6 Injection Molded Arch Shank - Compression Molded EVA Footframe - Q-Form™ Alignment System (women) - Air Cushion® Midsole - 5mm Sole Lug Depth - Vibram® Multi-Sport™ SoleTrek TC1 Dura Rubber Men’s Weight: 1lb. 14ozs. (size 8)

- Massey's Outfitters

Save at the REI Anniversary Sale, our Biggest Sale of the year! May 4 - 13! Anatomical 4.5mm running footbeds with full-length EVA Air Cushion midsoles provide shock absorption and stability. Combination Trek and TC1 Dura rubbers blend grippy performance and long-lasting durability. Enjoy comfortable ventilation and durable support in these low-profile cross-trainers designed for all your endless summer activities. Injection-molded nylon arch shanks add stability and protection on rough and uneven terrain. Narrow gauge webbing lace eyelets smoothly cinch insteps; padded and gusseted tongues relieve pressure and keep out trail debris. Pigskin leather and breathable Ventilator mesh uppers combine long-lasting durability with foot-cooling ventilation. Vibram Multi-Sport outsoles supply awesome omni-surface grip and confident braking power. Wicking and breathable nylon mesh linings help keep feet dry and comfortable; Benecke Ceraprene bumpers protect toes from trail abuse.

The Mesa Ventilator II by Merrell is an endless summer essential. Whether hiking, biking or hitting the trails, the Mesa Ventilator II will keep your feet happy and cool.

- RockCreek

Free Shipping. Merrell Men's Mesa Ventilator II Shoe (Fall 2006) An endless summer essential, whether hiking, biking or hitting the trails. 1.6mm Pigskin Leather/Breathable Ventilator Mesh Upper Breathable Mesh Lining Benecke Ceraprene Toe Bumper Breathable Ventilator Bellows Tongue 7.5mm Narrow Gauge Webbing 4.5mm Anatomical Footbed Nylon 6.6 Injection Molded Arch Shank Compression Molded EVA Footframe Air Cushion Midsole 5mm Sole Lug Depth Vibram Multi-Sport Sole/Trek & TC1 Dura Rubber

Merrell Men's Mesa Ventilator II

The Men's Mesa Ventilator II has been discontinued.

The Merrell Men's Mesa Ventilator II is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 21, 2008 at EMS.