Merrell Mix Master

A great lightweight trail runner that breathes and…

Summary

A great lightweight trail runner that breathes and vents very well. Really good traction profile and comfortable when worn for long periods of time.

Pros

• Breathability

Cons

• Upper mesh not durable

I purchased the Merrell Mix Masters back in January of this year. Since then, I have exclusively been using these shoes for all my backpacking and day-hiking trips. When purchasing these shoes, I made sure I bought it a size bigger so I have room for my toes — this is helpful on those trail descents.

Fit:

When purchasing shoes to wear for the trail, I typically buy them a half size to a full size larger than usual.  I find that doing this, helps with the comfort. I found the fit of Mix Masters to be good. It was wide enough and roomy but not too constricting to point of being uncomfortable.

Comfort/Support:

Being that I purchased the shoe a half size larger, I found it to be very comfortable, especially when descending down the trail. It provided ample support for the base of my feet.  However, if I purchased the mid version, I am sure it would help with the ankle support. However, I found that even the low cut version provided enough stability that the extra support for my ankle was not necessary.

Water Resistance/Temp Control:

These aren't water resistant at all but it does dry fairly fast and because of this, I find it to be very breathable...less clammy.

Ease of Use/Features:

The lacing system on this shoe was typical.  It was neither difficult or cumbersome to lace up and put on.  Some of the features of this shoe are below, based on manufacturer specs:

• Barefoot strobel construction gives you both flexibility and comfort
  • Synthetic mesh and fabric upper
  • Bellows tongue keeps debris out
  • 2mm EVA insole provides comfort and shock absorption
  • TPU overlay gives you a secure fit
  • Reflective details offer visibility in low light conditions
  • EVA anatomical footbed is treated with AEGIS antimicrobial solution to fight odor
  • Low profile midsole with 9mm heel/5mm ball = 4mm drop
  • Merrell Float midsole provides a 10% thinner and 25% lighter feel for maximum ground control
  • Merrell air cushion in the heel provides shock absorption
  • 1mm shock absorption plate in the forefoot gives you metatarsal protection
  • 3.5mm lug outsole can take you from on road to off road
  • Merrell Mix Master sole/Sticky Rubber outsole delivers unbeatable traction
  • Weight: 1lb 4oz

Construction & Durability:

So this is where I have issues with this shoe. The upper mesh started to stress and fold...causing the mesh to break and large holes began to form. I expect this sort of wear and tear on the pair when the user has placed at least 50 or more miles but not at less than 10 miles.

From the photo below, you can view the holes on the shoe where you feet would flex when walking.

Conditions:

I have had this pair since January 2013, since then, I have walked around 100 cumulative miles (both day-hiking and backpacking)

Final Thoughts:

I feel that this is still a great shoe. In fact, I bought two extra pairs because I found everything else about the shoe to be perfect for my style of walking and hiking. I can live with the mesh tear issue and in my opinion, can easily be fixed. I would recommend this shoe for those looking to buy a minimalist shoe with a little bit more cushioning support than a zero-drop shoe.

FromSagetoSnow

$40, you STOLE those shoes! Nice review!

1 year ago
mangus7175

Thank you sir! It was a good deal and I couldn't resist. I purchased them from the Merrell Outlet Store near Las Vegas back in January. I liked them so much and bought two extra pairs of them :)

1 year ago

On Sale. Free Shipping. Merrell Men's Mix Master 2 Shoe FEATURES of the Merrell Men's Mix Master 2 Shoe Synthetic leather and air mesh upper Bellows tongue keeps debris out TPU overlay provides a secure fit M-Select fresh naturally prevents odor before it starts for fresh smelling feet EVA anatomical footbed Reflective details for increased visibility in low light 4mm Drop / 9mm Cush / 20mm Stack Height Merrell air cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds stability Merrell Float midsole is 10% thinner and 25% lighter to provide more feel and ground control TrailProtect pad offers additional support off road 35mm lug depth for more street to trail feel M-Select grip tunes each outsole with durable traction that grips when and where you need it SPECIFICATIONS of the Merrell Men's Mix Master 2 Shoe Weight: 1/2 pair: 8.1 oz

The Merrell Mix Master Men's Running Shoe is made for transitioning through multiple adventures. Merrells minimalist Mix Master multi-sport shoe lets you experience your BareForm while offering lightweight cushioning. With a 4mm heel to toe drop, its thinner, lighter midsole cushions while getting you closer to the ground for better control. The lightweight air mesh upper with bellows tongue fits snugly to keep out debris.

- CampSaver.com

Merrell Mix Master Shoes - A minimalistic multi-sport shoe with an EVA midsole and Poliyou foam insole. TPU overlay for a glove-like fit, synthetic leather/mesh upper and rubber sole. Imported.

- Eddie Bauer

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO The Merrell Mix Master Running Shoe for Men is made for transitioning through multiple adventures. Our minimalist Mix Master multi-sport shoe lets you experience your BareForm while offering lightweight cushioning. With a 4mm heel to toe drop, its thinner, lighter midsole cushions while getting you closer to the ground for better control. The lightweight air mesh upper with bellows tongue fits snugly to keep out debris.Strobel construction offers flexibility and comfortSynthetic leather and air mesh upper2 mm EVA insole for comfort and shock absorptionTPU overlay provides a secure fitBellows tongue keeps debris outReflective elements on the heel and forefoot for added visibilityEVA anatomical footbed treated with Aegis antimicrobial solutionLow profile midsole 9 mm heel / 5 mm ball = 4m DropMerrell Float midsole is 10% thinner and 25% lighter to provide more feel and ground controlMerrell air cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds stabilityForefoot shock absorption pad provides metatarsel protection3 5 mm lugs for more street to trail feelMerrell Mix Sole / Sticky Rubber.

- Campmor

Merrell's Mix Master Trail Running Shoe gets you closer to the trail without sacrificing cushioning or protection. Between the low-profile, low-drop (4mm) outsole and the Merrell Float midsole that is 10% thinner and 25% lighter, you get enhanced ground feel and control for the barefoot feel you're beginning to get hooked on.

Merrell Mix Master

The Merrell Mix Master is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 16, 2014 at RockCreek.

If you're looking for a new barefoot/minimal shoe, check out the best reviewed current models.