Merrell Moab Ventilator

This is one of the best trail runners in every aspect…

Summary

This is one of the best trail runners in every aspect you could hope to review: value, comfort, and durability. On the Appalachian Trail, my pair lasted around 900 miles before they started to hit the edge of their limitations. I'm now on my second pair and this year's is even better than the last.

Pros

• Ventilated to keep your feet dry in hot weather
  • Extremely fast dry time after puddle jumping
  • Not as expensive as other brands in the same cross trainer market
  • Great for hiking and trail running
  • Ventilated to keep your feet dry in hot weather

Cons

• Can be cold on chilly, wet walks
  • The toe bumper has a tendency to peel off with time. Circumvent this by making a shoe goo toe cap
  • Can be cold on chilly, wet walks

I was about halfway done with my thru hike of the AT when I first put on a pair of Moab Vents. I had been riding out a pair of Keen mids for as long as I could when a friend gave me his old pair. They were the wrong size for him but fit me perfectly. It was a match made in heaven.

Now they are the only shoes I wear. Whether it's a quick trail run, a quick traverse of Franconia Notch, or your next long trail, these shoes are what you want. It's easy to see why they were undoubtedly the most popular shoe on the Appalachian Trail in 2013.

G00SE

Welcome to Trailspace. I have been wearing these shoes for years. I recently had an REI employee argue with me that these could never hold up on the AT. In his words, "you can't backpack in low hikers."

Eric Labanauskas

I wear mine every day. Literally, every day, whether I'm hiking or not. My first pair made it an entire year before they were retired. Great kicks!

Great lightweight shoe for short mid-range trips.

Summary

Great lightweight shoe for short mid-range trips.

Pros

• Light
  • Breathable
  • Stable

I was very pleased with these shoes right out of the gate. I wore them in comparison to several others including The North Face Hedgehog which was the shoe I was leaning towards at the time. Ultimately this shoe fit me better and felt a little sturdier in my test walks.

The shoe hugs my foot well without causing discomfort which has been a major issue for me with hiking shoes in the past. I am able to lace it tight enough to keep my heel snug with no sliding and not feel overly tightened or constrained.

I wore these on about 9 miles of hiking in Bryce Canyon a week after purchasing them and they were comfortable from the get go. I had no hot spots, no stiffness but still felt snug and supported in the shoe.

The Vibram sole was VERY sturdy and I never felt any of the rocks or issues even when I was a little off the beaten path in the Escalante area. I still had considerable movement and support while feeling comfy inside the shoe.

My feet did get a little warm but I was hiking in a little heavier merino wool sock in 80 degree heats so I chalk it up to poor choices on my part. For the most part I was really comfortable the whole time I was hiking.

This shoe grabs the foot like a glove, solid grip…

• Breathability
  • Comfortable fit

Cons

• Cheap thin insole

This shoe grabs the foot like a glove, solid grip on heel (no lift at all, and I usually have lift problems), wide enough for my moderately wide feet. Roomy toe box. Virtually no break in time needed. Great vibram sole. Only problem is that the insole feels pretty flimsy and decorative. Replaced it after a while with aftermarket insole.

Important: I bought the non-Goretex version, which is made of a material which is much more pliable and comfortable than the Goretex version.

Personal issue: I bought half a size up because of my slightly wide foot. This caused my foot to slide down a bit on steep descents, but the aftermarket insole solved that completely. For anyone else considering an insole - make sure its not too thick or it will result in heel lift.

I have owned 2 pairs. Well, I have worn theses shoes…

Price Paid: don't remember

Summary

I have owned 2 pairs.

Pros

• Good price

Cons

• In the end they blow out.

Well, I have worn theses shoes for years now because I got the second pair for half price, which I thought was a good deal. Lots of miles, I wear them as a street and outside shoe all year long.

I like these so much I'm on my second pair. They are…

Price Paid: ~$100

Summary

I like these so much I'm on my second pair. They are comfortable, fit right, and hold up well.

• Sizes for larger feet
  • Ventilation
  • Traction

Cons

• Laces come untied
  • Thin Insoles

I'm on my second pair of these shoes since I discovered them. I have a hard time finding shoes in my size, and these fit my 13 EE foot great.

My two biggest complaints are that the shoe laces seem to always want to come untied, so it is necessary to time them in a double knot at times.  The insoles are also a bit on the thin side, but that's something I change in almost every pair of shoes I buy.

I have put a hundred or so miles on my newest pair (about six months old at time of writing) and they are holding up very well.  There is hardly any noticeable wear on them.  Both pair are the Bark Brown color, and they are great for not showing dirt.

My older pair I had for close to two years and I have walked a few hundred miles in them.  They are still holding together, but I had to switch because my feet started to widen.

The tread held up and is holding up well to the miles of abuse.  The terrain in my area is often rocky, rarely to a I feel a sharp rock poke into my foot, when I do it is usually at one of the mesh sides and not through the bottom.

Because of the ventilation they are a great summer hiking shoe.  If you are looking for something more water resistant, you may want to look elsewhere.  Otherwise, these will help keep your feet cool and make the hiking experience more enjoyable.

Have served me well! I bought my first pair of these…

Summary

Have served me well!

Pros

• Quality
  • Comfort
  • Durability
  • Breathe well
  • Priced less than many shoes

Cons

• Not waterproof

I bought my first pair of these shoes in 2007 for a week-long hike on Isle Royale National Park. It was a cold rainy week, but these shoes held good traction on slick rock with a 40lb pack on my back. My feet stayed dry, but we were not hiking in a deluge.

That pair lasted me for five years! I hiked hundreds of miles them. I addition to that first trip, I did many weekend trips with them. Plus I wore them constantly on day outtings into the woods (I work outdoors and hike a good 3-5 days per week.).

I only retired that first pair after the soles wore off all the traction. The uppers remained in good repair

So these aren't Gortex, and they are not waterproof. Personally, I don't really want those qualities in a shoe. Truthfully, the moment you step in a stream over your ankles, you've lost any benefit in waterproofing. Instead, I want my feet to breathe, allowing for my feet to dry quickly.

Some of the other reviewers state these shoes don't last. That is not my experience. After six years, I am on my second pair. I find them just as reliable, and I wear them almost daily. Basically, I'm either wearing these or my Birkenstock Sandals.

Solid outsole, ventilates well, comfy. I've had these…

Summary

Solid outsole, ventilates well, comfy.

Pros

• Ventilation
  • Traction

Cons

• Laces come undone
  • Cosmetic
  • Color choices

I've had these shoes for about 2 years now and they are in great condition. I mainly use them around town or on Disney World trips in the Florida heat. They have a mesh upper that ventilates well and they have a stiffer footbed which is good for my plantar fasciitis.

i'm not crazy about the design or the colors though. They are just kind of blah. The laces seem to come undone easily, but that could be quickly fixed with replacement laces or just a double knot.

G00SE

I've never had trouble with the laces. Try tying your shoes this way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlV8uNNrbKY

seraphicD

haha! that looks pretty awesome Jeffery. That was you? You even had the Merrell's in the video. I'm glad I watched this since I have teach my boys how to tie shoes this year. Thanks for sharing.

G00SE

Yep, that's me. My trail name is "Goose." For some reason I thought you had to use real names to give reviews on this board.

Bought on reputation. Returned because they sucked.

Summary

Bought on reputation. Returned because they sucked.

Pros

Cons

• Fell apart. Seams ripped, water-proofing failed
  • Toe cap peeled back, rubber lining cracked

I wore these on the Tour du Mont Blanc and by the end of a one month holiday they were wrecked. I took them back, got a different brand, never again.

They were comfortable, that much is worth a star. But the water-proofing (I sprayed and followed the instructions) failed and it was wet feet after a few days. There was visible damage to the soles and the outer stitching began to come apart. The front was visibly cracking and the rubber toe cap peeled back.

Very disappointed.

seraphicD

Wow, my are still going strong. But mine were the non-waterproof version and they mainly see casual use.

I'm giving these a 2. They are really comfortable…

Summary

I'm giving these a 2. They are really comfortable shoes. But the traction is terrible.

Pros

• These shoes feel like they where made for my feet.

Cons

• Poor traction
  • Poor durability
  • Way too expensive for what they deliver.

I feel so out of control hiking steep trails. It's work to keep my feet from slipping and thus it takes more effort to hike. These are best for hiking rolling hills, logging roads and fairly low angle trails.

I have La Sportiva trail runners and Salewa Firetail that feel like wearing suction cups on my feet, super grippy; I can hop up and down scree slops and not feel like I'm going ice skating. The Moabs for the price are terrible for durability. After just two months of owning the, there are holes already where my toes flex and the area where the ball of my feet are are just abut warn flat.

Merrell has really gone downhill, I would expect that kind of shoe for $30.

A satisfactory trail hiker when used for light day…

Materials: mesh panel fabric, suede
Use: Short-day hikes, street wear
Break-in Period: A couple of days general wear
Price Paid: $115 CAD

A satisfactory trail hiker when used for light day hikes along well-cleared trails. Absolutely NOT designed for backpacking with any weight - will not provide much support or underfoot protection. Negative reviews by those using them for this purpose are meaningless as this is not what the shoe is constructed for.

Fit true to size (unlike most Merrels it seems which fit small). Wide toe-box, medium volume bordering on the high side. Comfortable EVA midsoles, but poor underfoot protection against hard objects like rocks, stones and sticks due to a lack of shank and soft midsole. Little to no arch support, nylon arch shank is not-apparent what-so-ever.

If you over-pronate, like most of the population, you will find the shoe allowing your foot to flatten substantially and turning inwards. An aftermarket insole with a rigid arch-support (e.g. superfeet) corrects this, but a shallow heel pocket may raise your heel a bit high, increasing the likelihood of slippage. My Superfeet orange JUST barely works with this, but is necessary for me. Stock foot-beds are initially very cushioning but compress in days, and provide little support or cushion after this.

Vented design works okay, my feet which generally sweat a lot still sweat in these quite a bit, but if there is a stiff breeze or you are moving fast the ventilation is great. So far durability has been good, but they have seen only mild trail use and mostly street-use. Vibrams outsoles are sticky and very grippy even in wet-conditions. The trade-off is that they wear very quickly, especially on pavement.

If Merrell improved the arch design with a stiffer arch shank and provided a light-duty nylon half or 3/4 shank for better overall stability, these would be a fantastic shoe. A slightly taller heel pocket would be appreciated.

Would consider buying again, but competition with Keen Voyager makes this a tough call.

Bought these shoes because I worked in an outdoors…

Use: in-store and general walking
Break-in Period: 0

Bought these shoes because I worked in an outdoors store and everyone said how good they were. After wearing them for three months in the store and mildly outside I watch the leather and upper materials just rip and fall apart. When I used them for campsite shoes while backpacking, you felt most rocks or objects under your feet digging their way through.

I am very disappointed in the quality of the product and comfort, and I do not feel that they came close to all the hype. The best thing I can say about the shoes is that the laces last longer than the rest of the shoe.

Excellent, lightweight hiking shoe that really helps…

Materials: leather, mesh
Use: moderate day hikes
Break-in Period: 1 week
Price Paid: $89.99 CDN

Excellent, lightweight hiking shoe that really helps with my over-supination (wear out the outsides of sole). Breeze flows right through the mesh upper and the nice, wide heel feels very stable even on very uneven ground.

I hike 3 to 5 miles daily on semi-groomed uneven trail. I encounter gravel, sand, grass and rock surfaces on my hike and this shoe handles it all very well. Highly recommended, especially for people with over-supination like myself.

Very comfortable and good stability, found the shoe…

Materials: nylon and leather
Use: backpacking
Break-in Period: one month of constant wear, several short hikes
Weight: 185 of myself, pack is usually 35 lbs for extended trips

Very comfortable and good stability, found the shoe rigid enough for my 30 lb pack load.

My backpacking this week consisted of the Flat Tops in Colorado and required many stream and bog like conditions in the meadows. What I found was that the shoe held water weight more then I would like, was slow to dry and holds bog and mud scent after several washings.

I would assume that since this shoe is so well padded that would be a consequence however for Moab type environments, would recommend, just concern for high altitude conditions of snow pockets and moisture retention if weather is colder.

If you've owned or used a Merrell Moab Ventilator, please share your experience.

Merrell Moab Ventilator