Merrell Moab Waterproof

Comfortable and waterproof...but for how long? Used…

Summary

Comfortable and waterproof...but for how long? Used for hiking and geocaching, all terrains. Medium use did its toll on my pair, sole began to separate. Not recommended.

Pros

• Waterproof (at first)

Cons

• Lost waterproof quickly
  • Sole separation from shoe
  • Lacking durability

When I think of trail shoes, I think of a few things: about $100 give or take, waterproof, durable. These Moabs pass the first test (mine were about $80) and were great with the other two aspects...at first.

Not only is this review from me, but I am pretty much speaking for my friend who received a pair about a month before I did.

The sizing and fit for my relatively normal to flat arch, wide toe box foot was great.  Had enough cushion without being to constricting.  Weight wasn't a big deal either, it felt as heavy as I thought they would from looking at them.  When I began wearing them, the waterproof aspect and durability seemed great.  Over time though, the shoes didn't hold up.

With my friend having a pair before me, it was like I was looking into a crystal ball; I knew where my shoes were heading.  Hoping he had a lemon and that mine would last was wishful thinking.  The sole began to separate from the rest of the shoe and the sides began to lose their waterproof capability.  Issue with the inner Gore-Tex? Not sure.

As with most waterpoof shoes, breathability wasn't great.  It's a trade-off.

I had my pair in 2008 and 2009.  Merrell is a great brand, maybe this model is a dud.  They still make this same model, but I'm not sure if anything has been tweaked or if I just had a bad experience.  When they started to wear, I used them for yard work.  Shortly thereafter they made their way to the dump.

Would not recommend.  If you're going for waterproof, look at another model.  If you just want trail shoes and don't care that they lose their waterproofing, you might as well get a different pair (i.e. specialize in your "wants").

If you've owned or used a Merrell Moab Waterproof, please share your experience.

Merrell Moab Waterproof