Merrell Outland Mid Waterproof

We live in the Northeast and are up against a lot…

We live in the Northeast and are up against a lot of rain, sleet and snow in the winter and some very hot summers. I hike 1-3 hours daily with our two Labrador Retrievers on moderate to advanced trails.

I made a good choice purchasing these boots. They are very comfortable, have good support, traction and most of all they keep my feet dry. I wear these boots year around.

Good choice!

JAH

I know several people with Merrells and they have…

Use: Intermediate trail with intermediate pack
Break-in Period: same day
Weight: Don't know

I know several people with Merrells and they have been pretty happy, so I thought I would give them a try. I was and am pretty surprised as to how well the handle on the trails of the Smoky mountains. Right out of the box out the front door of the store and on the trail within 2 hours. There are no rubbing points or pressure points. The padding is comfortable, but after a few hours on the trail, I feel like I could use a bit "longer lasting" padding.

Also, as I found out today, they handle very well in a Smoky Mountain down pour both for their water resistance and their slip resistance and grip. I would definitely recommend these boots for any intermediate trail hikers.

After failing to find one pair of boots that could…

Materials: nubuck w/ gore-tex lining
Break-in Period: None

After failing to find one pair of boots that could do it all, from light hiking groomed trails to weekend backpacking on more rugged terrain, I settled on a pair of heavier Vasque boots for the backpacking, and the Merrell Outland Mids for lighter duty.

First, it's not a boot--more of a high-top tennis shoe on steroids. So if you're carrying a load or hiking over rocks and other rough stuff all day--your feet are going to hurt--these are light hikers! They're great for kicking it around town and easy to moderate hiking trail. I particularly appreciate that they're waterproof, and have a very grippy Vibram tread.

Second, they are incredibly comfortable for what they are, once you realize that they are sized small (as other reviewers have noted, go up 1/2 size, unless you plan on stink-footing it w/no socks).

Bought these boots because I've heard good things…

Use: Geologist field work, hiking
Break-in Period: 0 days
Weight: 175 lbs

Bought these boots because I've heard good things about the treads Merrell uses. I thought I had made the mistake by wearing the shoes out in the field the day after I bought them but they performed perfectly in not developing any blisters. It was as if they were broken in already.

The waterproofing worked well for the first couple weeks with just damp grass/leaves/etc. However, first day in the field with heavy rains, my feet became a little damp. Granted I was in the rain and deep leaves for a couple hours so I give the boots that. Boots dried out quickly and never became soaked.

Treads work great but they do pick up a lot of stuff.

I wear a size 11D in everything...always have! The…

I wear a size 11D in everything...always have! The Merrell Outlands were too short or my toes were too long. I took a 11.5 for the first time ever. After wearing them for a couple hours now, the instep of my left heel is sore. These shoes will take some break in time. But...I like them!!

If you've owned or used a Merrell Men's Outland Mid Waterproof, please share your experience.

Merrell Men's Outland Mid Waterproof

The Merrell Men's Outland Mid Waterproof is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 22, 2014 at EMS.

Weight 2 lb 5 oz