Dude, yeah! These shorts are great for on the trail.

Fabric: Poly?

Dude, yeah! These shorts are great for on the trail. They breathe so well! They have a belt that's built in, very light, and the fit might be a little small, but maybe it's just me. They have 2 side pockets, and part of the pocket kind of slides down to the side of the short for holding a knife clip or flashlight. I know it sounds funny, but it was really useful for holding my folding knife on the trail and around camp. It has a single zipper pocket down on the right side of the short leg which held my small digital camera just fine, with room for a bandana or snacks.

Back pocket is zippered and easy to get to... though I've never had a problem getting to a back pocket, that I can think of...

Anyways, solid shorts. I bought two pairs and might get another for my next trip. All of Merrell's apparel is solid!

Might try the pants myself. I highly recommend these shorts.