Merrell Siren Sport Gore-Tex

Weight 1 lb 7 oz
Sizes 5 - 11 (Half Sizes) and Wide 5 - 11 (Half Sizes)
Materials Synthetic Leather and Mesh Upper

I bought these from a well known outdoor store, and…

Price Paid: $137 Australian

I bought these from a well known outdoor store, and luckily they were on sale for AU$137. I had done my homework looking for a nice-looking shoe, with plenty of traction, stability and plenty of room for my wider size feet. They were to be used for my daily 8 km walks, and eventually for Europe early next year.

I did all the homework, checked reviews, wore them for 30 minutes around the shop, wore them all day around the house and then decided on a 4 km walk. I had noticed at home that they were rubbing my feet under the eyelet stitching, so I took out the laces and only threaded them through the top three points, and worked at stretching the toe box as much as possible.

After 1 km into my walk the stitching could be felt on the inside of the shoes rubbing against my foot, exactly at the same spots on both feet. It was unlikely the shoe comfort would improve with wear or stretching. I walked back in bare feet.

I was so disappointed, and I was unable to return them to the shop as obviously they were not in original condition.

I normally wouldn't do it, but didn't fancy having a hardly worn pair of shoes sitting in my cupboard, so I contacted Merrell in Australia with my complaints. They were fantastic. They invited me to post them to them (and Reply Paid at that). They felt that the shoe was probably too narrow for me and maybe half a size too small. They suggested The Moab Gortex shoe and a half size up.

These arrived last week. They certainly don't have the looks of the Siren Sport, which I felt were good looking enough not to need a second pair of shoes for evening wear, but are fantastically comfortable on the few short walks I have done so far, and once they conform to my feet may not seem so chunky.

I don't know that I would buy another pair of Merrells, but I couldn't fault their customer service.

Visit Merrell's Siren Sport Gore-Tex page.

Upper/Lining Strobel construction offers flexibility and comfortSynthetic leather and mesh upperBellows tongue keeps debris outGORE-TEX(R) Extended Comfort Footwear lining keeps feet dry and comfortableLining treated with Aegis(R) antimicrobial solutionOrtholite(R) anatomical footbedMidsole/Outsole Molded nylon arch shankQForm(R) Comfort midsole provides specific stride-sequenced cushioning for womenMerrell(R) Air Cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds stability5mm Sole lug depthVibram(R) Siren Song Sole/TC5+ RubberWeight: 1 lb 7 oz

- River Sports Outfitters

This Siren Sport GTX sounds the alarm when the weather turns bad and keeps pace with the worst it throws out. A mesh upper backed by a Gore-Tex highly breathable XCR membrane provides complete waterproof protection and comfort.

- EMS

The Siren all weather sport shoe sounds the alarm when the weather comes up bad, and keeps pace with the worst it can throw out. Mesh upper backed by GORE-TEX(r) membrane has the highest level of breathability while being completely waterproof without any unwanted bulk-up. Narrow gauge webbing and synthetic leather strapping provide support while anchoring speed lacing. Underneath it's all about cushioning and alignment, with proprietary Merrell(r) Air Cushion matched to QForm(r) stride-centering.

- Merrell

Merrell Siren Sport Gore-Tex

The Merrell Siren Sport Gore-Tex is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 14, 2014 at EMS.