Merrell Thermo 6 Gore-Tex

Merrell Thermo 6 is the ideal boot for winter weather.

Materials: gore-tex
Use: Day hikes with a light pack travelling under 10 miles
Break-in Period: 4 short hikes
Weight: sorry don't have a scale handy but heavier than light hikers

Merrell Thermo 6 is the ideal boot for winter weather. I wore my boots most recently during a trek in a classic PA "wintery mix" storm. The traction and stability are excellent on snow, ice, mud and wet grass. At no time did I feel like I was going to slip or roll my foot.

The waterproofing is awesome, 200 gram Thinsulate kept my feet warm the whole time. The high arch is perfect for my foot and after 6 hours of hiking with a light day pack my feet still felt good. The durability is great too. I've had mine for 2 years and they still look and perform like new.

I do have 2 minor complaints. I'm not thrilled with the hooks at the top of the laces. They wear fine but could potentially break off prematurely. The only other negative is they are a little heavy but hey what can you expect from a winter hiker?

Summary: For under a hundred bucks these boots are a steal.