Merrell Thermo 6 Gore-Tex

Merrell Thermo 6 is the ideal boot for winter weather.

Materials: gore-tex
Use: Day hikes with a light pack travelling under 10 miles
Break-in Period: 4 short hikes
Weight: sorry don't have a scale handy but heavier than light hikers

Merrell Thermo 6 is the ideal boot for winter weather. I wore my boots most recently during a trek in a classic PA "wintery mix" storm. The traction and stability are excellent on snow, ice, mud and wet grass. At no time did I feel like I was going to slip or roll my foot.

The waterproofing is awesome, 200 gram Thinsulate kept my feet warm the whole time. The high arch is perfect for my foot and after 6 hours of hiking with a light day pack my feet still felt good. The durability is great too. I've had mine for 2 years and they still look and perform like new.

I do have 2 minor complaints. I'm not thrilled with the hooks at the top of the laces. They wear fine but could potentially break off prematurely. The only other negative is they are a little heavy but hey what can you expect from a winter hiker?

Summary: For under a hundred bucks these boots are a steal.

Warm up to the idea of cool weather hikes and winter snowshoe trips with this waterproof Thermo 6 Gore-Tex Shoe from Merrell. Lighter than the Merrell's Thermo 6 shoe, the Thermo 6 Gore-Tex Shoe offers the same functionality and weather protection with a weight savings of almost four ounces. It features a durable combination of rugged nubuck leather along the upper backed with breathable polyester mesh and a Gore-Tex waterproof and breathable membrane. What distinguishes the Thermo 6 from other hiking footwear is the addition of 200 grams worth of warm Thinsulate insulation, a ColdProof insulating footbed and an Active Heat insole featuring silver reflective film between the insulating polyester layers. Beneath it all is a Vibram Thermo 6 sole featuring SnowTrek and Trek rubber with a 6-mm. lug sole depth. If you tread places where the ground remains slick and frozen throughout the coolest months of the year, Merrell's Thermo 6 Gore-Tex shoe is an ideal mid-height boot that gives you extra warmth in an athletic cut that won't slow you down.

- Altrec Outdoors

Merrell Thermo 6 Gore-Tex

The Thermo 6 Gore-Tex has been discontinued.

The Merrell Thermo 6 Gore-Tex is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 4, 2006 at Altrec Outdoors.

If you're looking for a new winter boot, check out the best reviewed current models.