This shoe fits well and has a good balance. I have…

Materials: synthetic leather, nylon
Use: water activities where you're only on your feet for short periods of time
Break-in Period: didn't seem to break in
Weight: 1 lb, 6 oz.

This shoe fits well and has a good balance. I have no complaints about how it handles water, and the vibram soles provide excellent traction and stability. However - it is uncomfortable! There are too many chafe points on the inside of the shoe. I presume that it's meant to be worn sockless - as it's a water shoe, but there are hard seams and uncomfortable pressure points that become obvious after only minutes of wear. I'm not generally blister prone, but I got blisters after about a mile of walking. With socks I don't have the problem with blisters - but then I lose the prime function of the shoe!

The shoe itself does not provide strong arch support or cushioning - so if you plan to do serious hiking this is not the shoe for you. I tried backpacking with it, and after only 2 miles with a 25-30-lb pack my feet were already fatigued

The best use I can think of for this shoe is a situation where you won't walk much, and will be in water that requires considerable foot protection for short stints - kayaking, or canoeing with no (or very short!) portages.

Merrell WaterPro Tawas

The WaterPro Tawas has been discontinued.

The Merrell WaterPro Tawas is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 11, 2013 at Massey's Outfitters.

If you're looking for a new water shoe, check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review

MSR Evo Ascent Review

Gregory Baltoro 65 Review

The A.T. Guide (2016 Northbound) Review

Weegie Weekenders

Trailspace in the morning...and a new hat idea?