Metolius Speedster

Decent rope bag if that's all you're looking for.

Decent rope bag if that's all you're looking for.

• Great tarp
  • Simple

• Small
  • No gear loop on outside
  • Shoulder straps are just ok

Decided I wanted a rope bag to protect the rope and hold some of my sport climbing essentials. I really wanted an inexpensive bag, backpack style, with a tarp. This, as far as I could tell, was one of the only ones, and for less than $50, I was pretty stoked to get it.

Likes: Material is nice, color is great, it looks just like a cool bag. Tarp is excellent, it's huge, and it's got a great feel to it. Zipper down the middle is really convenient, outside pocket is perfect for storing wallet, keys, phone, everything in my pockets that I don't want on the wall with me.

Dislikes: The Metolius website says 40L (2460 cu in)...No way. It's much much smaller, I'd say 30L at most, which is about what Backcountry posts here on the website (1775 cu in = 29L). After stuffing my 60m 10.2 rope in there, I barely had room to put my harness, 10 draws, and chalk bag. It all stuck out the top. I had to carry my shoes and water bottle.

Not that it's a big problem, but I wanted a larger bag to get basically all my stuff in. This major dislike is more of just a personal dislike, not a fault with the bag. It just didn't fit my purpose well. Aside from that, the backpack straps, aren't incredibly comfortable, but it IS just a rope bag. Also, there should REALLY be a daisy chain on the outside to clip a helmet or shoes to (bud below says the same thing).

Overall, good bag, if you're not trying to put a lot in it. However, isn't the point of having a backpack style bag trying to get almost everything in it, to free your hands up for the approach hike/scramble? That's what I wanted. If you just want to put rope in it, not much else, and you want a backpack, this is great.

I ended up returning this bag and getting the Black Diamond Demon Duffel, which I feel suits my needs much better.

Metolius Speedster

The Metolius Speedster is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 20, 2016 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new rope bag, check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review