Metolius Speedster

Decent rope bag if that's all you're looking for.

Summary

Decent rope bag if that's all you're looking for.

Pros

• Great tarp
  • Simple

Cons

• Small
  • No gear loop on outside
  • Shoulder straps are just ok

Decided I wanted a rope bag to protect the rope and hold some of my sport climbing essentials. I really wanted an inexpensive bag, backpack style, with a tarp. This, as far as I could tell, was one of the only ones, and for less than $50, I was pretty stoked to get it.

Likes: Material is nice, color is great, it looks just like a cool bag. Tarp is excellent, it's huge, and it's got a great feel to it. Zipper down the middle is really convenient, outside pocket is perfect for storing wallet, keys, phone, everything in my pockets that I don't want on the wall with me.

Dislikes: The Metolius website says 40L (2460 cu in)...No way. It's much much smaller, I'd say 30L at most, which is about what Backcountry posts here on the website (1775 cu in = 29L). After stuffing my 60m 10.2 rope in there, I barely had room to put my harness, 10 draws, and chalk bag. It all stuck out the top. I had to carry my shoes and water bottle.

Not that it's a big problem, but I wanted a larger bag to get basically all my stuff in. This major dislike is more of just a personal dislike, not a fault with the bag. It just didn't fit my purpose well. Aside from that, the backpack straps, aren't incredibly comfortable, but it IS just a rope bag. Also, there should REALLY be a daisy chain on the outside to clip a helmet or shoes to (bud below says the same thing).

Overall, good bag, if you're not trying to put a lot in it. However, isn't the point of having a backpack style bag trying to get almost everything in it, to free your hands up for the approach hike/scramble? That's what I wanted. If you just want to put rope in it, not much else, and you want a backpack, this is great.

I ended up returning this bag and getting the Black Diamond Demon Duffel, which I feel suits my needs much better.

Head to the crag with everything you need for a day of sport climbing in the Metolius SpeedsterTM rope bag. It's large enough to hold a 70m rope, shoes, a harness, quickdraws and a chalk bag.

With enough space for a 70-meter rope, shoes, harness, and draws, the Metolius Speedster Rope Bag is the only pack you need for a day at the crag. Padded shoulder straps allow for easy pack-style carrying, and the large easy-load tarp protects your cord from dirt and grime.

Metolius Speedster Bag DECENT FEATURES of the Speedster Rope Bag An innovative, two-strap, pack-style rope bag with center zipper for easy access to rope and climbing gear Big enough for 70 m cords with heaps of room for shoes, harness, draws, chalk bag Massive easy-load tarp 52 x 58in. / 132 x 147 cm Small zippered pocket for wallet, keys etc The SPECS of the Speedster Rope Bag Weight: 1 lb 4 oz / 567 g Capacity: 1,775 cubic inches / 29 Liter ALL CLIMBING SALES ARE FINAL.

An innovative twostrap packstyle rope bag with center zipper for easy access to rope and climbing gear Its big enough to stow 70m ropes with plenty of room for shoes harness draws and chalk bagFeatures Massive easyload tarp 52 x 58 132 cm x 147 cm Small zippered pocket for wallet keys etc 1 lb 4 oz 567 g 2460 cu in 40 L

- Bentgate.com

When a marathon of long routes is on your agenda for the day, stay organized and efficient with the Speedster Rope Bag from Metolius. This innovative, dual-strap, pack style rope bag comes equipped with a center zipper for easy access to the main compartment and small zippered accessory pocket that stashes wallet, keys or other essentials. Massive easy-load tarp is 52? by 58? and effortlessly stores a 70 meter cord , with enough room for your shoes, harness and chalk bag.

- Mountain Gear