Montane Featherlite Down Jacket

The Montane Featherlite down jacket is a very well…

Source: received for testing via the Trailspace Review Corps (sample provided by Montane for testing and review)

Summary

The Montane Featherlite down jacket is a very well thought-out and constructed jacket, ideal for active mountain activities, winter trekking, and keeping the chill at bay during stops and back in camp. It is wonderfully light and remarkably compressible.

Pros

• Very light
  • Highly compressible
  • Durable, windproof Pertex outer fabric w/effective DWR
  • Technical hood and multiple adjustment points
  • Warm
  • Dries quickly
  • Pocket doubles as stuff sack
  • Convenient features and multiple pockets

Cons

• Interior pocket too large/shapeless
  • Tight/restrictive underarm
  • Where is the internal lock-down tab?

Detailed Video Review

Scope of Testing:

Used during eight different outings, on more than 13 days in a variety of conditions including rain, fog, snow flurries, driving wind, at elevations from 1000ft to 5,600ft, and in temperatures down to 24°F.

Below-Huckleberry-Knob-NC.jpg
Gonzan testing the Montane Featherlite near Hucklberry Knob, Unicoi Range, N.C.]

User Info and Experience:

Male; 5' 8", 190lbs; Frequent hiking and backpacking throughout the Cumberland Plateau and mountains of eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina, with experience hiking in the northeastern U.S., and western U.S. Rockies.

Included Items:

750+FP jacket, water resistant stuff sack.

DSC_5124.jpg

Features:

140g (4.94oz) down fill; 405g  (14.3oz) garment weight; Four pockets (inner chest, outer Napoleon zip, two handwarmer zip); cinch hem; elastic cuffs; Three-point cinch adjustment on fully insulated technical hood; Pertex Quantum shell; “Internal Tab” for rolling away the hood.

DSC_5123.jpg       DSC_5119.jpg
[Side hand pockets]                             [Vertical zip chest pocket]

Product Testing and Review

I am impressed with the Montane Featherlight. In short, it is light, warm, compresses very small, has great pockets, and achieves a great balance between plenty of features and keeping it simple.

DSC_5125.jpg
[Compressed jacket in included stuff sack]

Fit & Comfort:

I am not nearly as in shape as I would like to be, and am a bit overweight, so athletic fit items are not usually the right choice for me. However, I ordered a size large, which actually fits quite well overall. The only point of constriction is on the underarm. The opening between the body of the jacket and the sleeve could be slightly larger, which would benefit a slimmer person as well, especially when worn with multiple layers

DSC_4972.jpg
[well fitted, active fit]

Adjustability:

There are a number of cinch cords with cord locks to ensure the jacket is able to accommodate to various uses and conditions. The hood uses one rear and two side located cinch points on elastic cord, allowing it to be snugly closed around your face, and securely fitted around a climbing helmet.

The cord locks can be released with one gloved hand, though two hands are needed for precise fit. The cord ends are run to the inside of the collar, which keeps them secure and held out of the way. The sleeves are fitted with elastic cuffs, and I never found myself missing adjustments straps there. The hem also sports a sewn in elastic cord and two cinch points: left and right.

DSC_5120.jpg
[two hood adjustment cinch points and front zipper with chin guard]

Water Resistance:

The Featherlite’s shell is Pertex Quantum, a DWR treated and windproof ripstop fabric. Though by not waterproof, it does shed mist, light drizzle, and snow well. When exposed to a heavy drizzle, especially windblown rain, moisture can get though.

Breathability & Moisture:

The interior fabric is delightfully comfortable, and wicks moisture very well. The drying time of the jacket is quite fast, and I did not notice any condensation formation on the inside of the jacket shell or notable buildup of moisture.

Warmth:

I primarily used this jacket for when stationary or during light exertion, and was very pleased with its warmth and usefulness. With the temperatures in which I had the opportunity to use it most (30-50°F), it proved far too warm to wear during strenuous activity.

My body thermostat runs quite warm in general and I sweat very easily, which means it has to be quite cold before I need to wear more than a thin layer while actively hiking or doing other energetic things. This also means I have to put on layers when I stop or am doing things around camp. This jacket is simply perfect for those functions.

The exterior Pertex fabric is also windproof, which I can attest to with certainty: One evening mid October, I sat on the exposed point of Hangover Rock in sustained high winds, buffeted by 30-40mph gusts, and was as cozy as could be.

Layering:

I most frequently wore this jacket over a t-shirt, a wool base layer, or both. There is also adequate room (other than the fore-mentioned underarm constriction) for the comfortable wearing of a thicker under layer such as light fleece or second woven shirt. The trim tailoring of the jacket allows it to be worn underneath a shell or larger jacket with complete ease, and without compressing the down.

I have a heavier down jacket that is slightly compressed when I wear a shell over it, which is not ideal. The Featherlite, however, gives superb warmth and movement underneath my shell jacket.

Durability:

I have not noticed any “wear and tear” so far at all, not even on elbows or on hems and cuffs. I am leery of thin fabrics, but I am very impressed with the strength and resilience of the Pertex. I was very cautions when I first got it, thinking it was going to tear easily, but I do not really think about protecting it now that I’ve seen it is so tough.

Function:

All of the zippers, cinch cords, cord locks, and pockets all worked properly with a few minor exceptions. The inner pocket is about eight inches high and wide, with only a partial “Velcro” closure. Neither the baggy size of the pocket or the partial fastener are very convenient, as items tended to flop around and did not feel secure. The hand warmer pockets are a good size, with zippers to keep things in place. I especially like the vertically zippered chest pocket, which is an ideal size for a cell phone, folded map, or small GPSR, etc.

On the labels and on its website, Montane states there is an integrated "Internal Tab" to "Lock down and roll away" the hood. After exhausting the wits of a couple people, my own included, I cannot figure out what they are talking about. On this one at least, the feature is not the same as on the North Star model.

DSC_5127.jpg
[Jacket stuffed and zipped up in side hand pocket]

I discovered a wonderful surprise feature that is great: either hand pocket works perfectly as an integrated stuff sack, eliminating the need to carry the separate stuff sack. The only drawback is that the zipper pull isn't reversible like on a sleeping bag,

Conclusion:

The Montane Featherlight is a versatile and well made down jacket for moderately cold temps. It is well supplied with features and details, but not so many as to weigh things down or make it complicated. With a few minor tweaks I would have nothing to criticize at all! I would definitely recommend this jacket for excellent mid-range insulation in a well planned layering system.

Great review (and pictures and video), Gonzan! Thanks for sharing it.

Seth Levy TRAILSPACE STAFF

Wonderful review! You video made me do a jig! And a reel!

trouthunter MODERATOR

I enjoyed your review

trouthunter MODERATOR

I could have used a down sweater like that just the other night, thanksfor the detailed review & video. nice to "see" you again.

gonzan MODERATOR

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you all liked it!

Rick-Pittsburgh

Very nice review Gonz. Good stuff.

gonzan MODERATOR

Thanks, Rick!

andrew f.

nice job - really well done.

Ashleigh MODERATOR

As always, excellent review, Gonzan! The pictures and video are awesome!

David Drake

Excellent review!! I just purchased this jacket, size large, on sale, and I'm now a bit more excited to hang on to it and try it out based on your review. I am athletic/fit and I was more likely to return it simply because the back is just a bit too small at the upper latissimus dorsi area. At rest with my arms down, forward or back it's too small but when I raise my arms up to the side it does not stretch the jacket... the only reason, other than your positive review, I'm going to give it further consideration. With tax, the jacket came to $110.25, not a bad price for a down jacket! If it was any more expensive it would have certainly found it's way back to the retailer considering the tightness in the back. Also, I'm a bit concerned with the quality of the down and whether or not the down will settle inside each baffle. If the down settles without being able to be fluffed back into shape it is surely heading back. I made this mistake with a 650 fill sleeping bag and I regret hanging on to it. The fact that the down has settled in each baffle and has not been able to be fluffed back into shape renders the sleeping bag useless. gonzan, I'd love to see a report after all this time in regard to the down and how it's performing, holding up for you.

Exceptionally light, the Montane Featherlite Down Jacket is highly versatile for year round mountain activities. Wear as a mid-layer when moving quickly in really cold conditions or as outer insulation on cool evening camps. Packing down to the size of a large orange, it will hardly be noticed when stowed in your backpack, whilst the PERTEX Quantum outer fabric allows the down to loft to its capacity on demand.

- CampSaver.com

Free Shipping. Montane Men's Featherlite Down Jacket FEATURES of the Montane Men's Featherlite Down Jacket Lightweight, 100% windproof Pertex Quantum outer with a superior DWR PEAQ Down lining that is supremely comfortable next to the skin, highly breathable and fast drying Exceptionally high quality 750+ fill power Micro baffle anatomical construction allowing perfect loft space for the down Articulated arms for reach high movement and tailored specifically to reduce hem lift Down filled technical hood with three point adjustment Internal tab to lock down and roll away the hood in windy conditions Two hand-warmer pockets with YKK Reverse coil zips Chest pocket for handy essentials in the mountains Additional internal pocket Full length, reversed and baffled YKK front zip Adjustable hem to prevent spindrift entry and heat loss Subtle Scotchlite reflective roundel details Includes a Montane stuff sac perfect for storage on the move Activities: Fast Alpine / Mountain Walking / High Trekking / Travel / Basecamp / Mountain Marathon SPECIFICATIONS of the Montane Men's Featherlite Down Jacket Fit: Active mountain Weight: Filling Weight: 140 g Zip: YKK Reverse coil Lining: Ultra soft PEAQ Down Pertex Quantum Rip-stop This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.