Montrail Hardrock Mid GTX

I bought these for my wife for when she occasionally…

Materials: synthetic, Gore-Tex
Use: day hikes, overnight hikes w/ less than 25 pound pack
Break-in Period: none
Weight: LIGHT
Price Paid: $17 at Ross

I bought these for my wife for when she occasionally hikes with me. She is not into the outdoors, especially for the normal cost of equipment, so I couldn't pass up this pair when I found them on clearance. Who could complain about top-quality hikers for less than $20?

Her feet get cold easily when they get wet, so these offered a great solution w/ Gore-Tex and their light-weight design. She doesn't particularly like the coloring, but says that they are much better than "clunky boots".

She reports them to be very comfortable, with great support and cushioning. "My feet don't hurt after that hike" was her last report when I asked.

I bought these as a way to lighten my load, providing…

Materials: Synthetic, Gore-tex
Use: Training dayhikes, lightweight backpacking treks.
Break-in Period: Very little break-in.
Weight: 1 lb 15 oz

I bought these as a way to lighten my load, providing an alternative to my 3-4 lb leather backpacking boots. I was also thinking of Keen Targhee Mid or Merrell Moab. I chose these because they were on sale, but I was very close to getting the Keens.

I'm impressed. I chose a half size larger, and there is plenty of room in the toebox, length and width-wise. I'm a bit wide. I've put about 25 miles on them over several weeks. They are very comfortable. I live in rainy Washington, but it's been a dry year, so I haven't really tested the Gore-tex yet. I don't expect it to be perfect. These are very light hikers, just over a pound, and I expect my feet to get wet in a soaker. I walked across some creeks and stood in puddles. Although I could feel a chill against my feet, they were dry when I got back to the car.

I bought these for training day-hikes, as well as a two week trip this summer. If they get wet, I expect them to dry quickly. I might carry special liner socks, just in case, and still be way less than my 4 lb leather boots. On the drier days, I expect to feel the wonderful lightness of two less pounds on my legs.

They are mid-height, and grip the heel and ankle very well, with good padding. I think the ankle support is sufficient for multi-day backpacking, because there is a stiff outer material on the back that is very supportive, yet comfortable. The traction is good. The lugs are not very deep, so I'm wondering how it will wear over time. I'm sure this contributes to the light-weight. But they did well on ice and snow covered trails last weekend, just like my other boots do. Eventually, I put on my Yak-trax, and they handled those well without scrunching up.

They don't feel like tennis shoes, but I think they are lighter than tennis shoes. The sole is sturdy and supportive. Rocks and sticks don't bother me. The sole has a stiffener and I can feel it helping me to push off easy. Uphill or downhill, they are very comfortable and worry free. And I'm liking the lightness.

The weight is a radical change from what I'm used to, so I think they'll be perfect for my two week trek this summer, 93 miles. They might be revised and go by another name this year because I bought them on "closeout".

For anyone who's ever wished that their hiking boots felt more like their trainers, Montrail created the waterproof, GORE-TEX-lined Hardrock Mid 09 GTX trail shoe. Your feet are protected from mud and snow by an internal GORE-TEX bootie, all while you get excellent traction and support with tough, sticky Gryptonite outsoles and a combination of molded EVA Perimeter Midsole Technology and a hard Trail Shield guard in the forefoot.

- Mountain Gear refers to the men's version

The Montrail Men's Hardrock Mid GTX Light Hiker is a lightweight performance hiking shoe that is designed for the outdoor endorphin junkie that's always pushing the pace - with or without a pack.Packed with superior traction, Gore-Tex , underfoot protection, comfort, stability?all the good stuff.Highly breathable mesh with a gusseted tongue to keep out dirt and moisture.Gore-Tex bootie construction offer exception waterproofing and breathability. Gryptonite outsole for great traction and durability.Molded midfoot shank for support and torsional rigidity.Trail Shield forefoot for protection from rocks and other trail debris.Perimeter midsole technology for comfort and stability on uneven surfaces.Weight: 12.6 oz. (pair).

- Campmor refers to the men's version

The Montrail Hardrock Mid 09 GTX hiking shoe means that going "fast and light" will not mean giving up comfort, stability, or foot protection. Based on the popular Montrail Hardrock trail running shoe, the Hardrock Mid increases stability with over the ankle height. Weather protection is assured with GORE-TEX®. Montrail Hardrock Mid 09 GTX features: Gryptonite™ outsole for great traction and exceptional durability. Molded midfoot shank for support and torsional rigidity. Trail Shield™ forefoot for protection from rocks and other trail debris. Gusseted tongue to keep out dirt and moisture. Perimeter™ midsole technology for comfort and stability on uneven surfaces. GORE-TEX® bootie construction for water proof breathability

- OMCgear refers to the men's version

The Mens Hardrock Mid '09 GTX Shoes are lightweight for fast hiking and feature Gore-Tex waterproof inserts to keep your feet dry when you hop through streams or slog through a downpour. The gusseted tongue prevents trail debris from getting in, and a forefoot plate underneath the comfy EVA midsole protects the ball of your foot from stone-bruising. The Hard Rock Mid GTX Shoe also has a midfoot shank for stability and torsional rigidity on uneven terrain. Montrail's Gryptonite rubber outsole has aggressive lugs that hold fast on everything from washed-out mudfests to slick granite scrambles.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

On Sale. Free Shipping. Montrail Men's Hardrock Mid GTX Shoe (Fall 2009) Built on the same midsole and outsole as their versatile Hardrock Ultra Shoe by Montrail, now becomes one of our most versatile waterproof hiking boots. Features: GORE-TEX bootie upper provides waterproof breathable comfort Molded TPU enhances fit and support in the heel Gusseted tongue helps keep dirt and debris out Dual density EVA mid-sole with TPU protection plate provides a light, flexible, yet supportive and durable platform for hiking, fastpacking, and backpacking Gryptonite rubber outsole provides great traction on a variety of wet and dry surfaces Weight: 17.8 oz / .504 kg

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

Montrail Hardrock Mid GTX

The Hardrock Mid GTX has been discontinued.

The Montrail Hardrock Mid GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 26, 2014 at Mountain Gear.