Montrail I.C.E. 9

Bought these boots new off eBay, along with the ICE…

Materials: leather, synthetic
Use: snowshoeing, mountaineering
Break-in Period: not required
Weight: 1.6 kg, size 9

Bought these boots new off eBay, along with the ICE 9 crampons and gaiters. Of course the crampons fell off and when I complained to some climbing friends, I was informed of Montrail's recall. Kudos to Montrail, they were very helpful about getting me new Grivel Classics, which I can use on any type of boot (even trail runners). The gaiters are an odd fit and must really be pulled hard to close on top.

Now to the boots...they are great! Very light, great fit and quite warm for anything I've used them for, including glacier travel and snowshoeing at -20C. Yes, the metal studs on the soles used for Montrail's (recalled) crampon system slide on rock so they are coming off soon. I'm sure my opinion would be different if I'd paid full retail - then I'd be looking at La Sportiva.

Update: May 25, 2008

Since writing my last review in January of 2007, I've taken these boots to the summit of Aconcagua with a pair of OR insulated gaiters for added warmth. The boots were fantastic! As these were by far the lightest in our group, I really enjoyed the descent as well, being more nimble on mixed terrain than big and clunky double boots.

As with all gear, I've had to make a few mods: the steel clips for Montrail's failed integrated crampon system were cut off. Also, their integrated gaiters that clip on the boots remain unused because they are too snug to bother fighting with on the trail. Seems that a great boot was cursed by a bunch of marketing gimmicks!

rated 3.00 of 5 stars All I.C.E. 9 versions

In addition to the 1 men's review above, there are 7 reviews for other versions of the I.C.E. 9. Read all reviews »

Designed for alpine climbing and extended mountaineering in temperatures as cold as -30C, the I.C.E. 9 delivers more insulated warmth than any other Montrail boot. It's also taller and more supportive, making it an exceptional boot for mixed climbs on any of the towering low-angle volcanoes along the Pacific Rim's Ring of Fire. Unlike traditional climbing boots that often use one rubber compound throughout the outsole, the I.C.E. 9 features an exclusive dual-compound Vibram outsole with a high-durometer Mont compound around the perimeter for superb edging and a soft Super Trek compound in the forefoot for smearing on rock. If you had to own one boot for glaciers, scrambles, vertical ice or anything mixed, the I.C.E. 9 is the easiest choice to warm up to.

- Altrec Outdoors

Free Shipping. Montrail Men's I.C.E. 9 Boot (Fall 2006) There is always the leather vs. plastic debate among alpine climbers, now there's the I.C.E. 9 by Montrail. Welcome to the best of both worlds. The insulated upper is made with Stretch Schoeller Keprotec and polyurethane laminated leather. Weight 2 lb 2 oz/0.96 kg Support Extra-cushioned upper cuff Tongue designed for cramponing comfort Y-Bar heel lock device for custom heel hold Dual-compound sole Fit Insulation conforms quickly to foot shape Roomy toe box prevents toe banging on ice Flexible ankle for French technique Design 400 g PrimaLoft insulation Stretch Schoeller Keprotech tongue and gusset Sticky rand and heel cup Four-layer carbon fiber lasting board Crampon-compatible Animal Fast and light Cold-weather ice climbing Technical expeditions Endless front pointing Volcano climbing Mixed mastery

The I.C.E. 9 mountaineering boot by Montrail is designed for alpine climbing in colder temperatures (-30 C and above), and longer technical ice or mixed routes. It is heavily insulated, has a stiffer flex than the Olympus or Lotus GTX, and is taller and more supportive. I.C.E. technology makes this boot very versatile and excels at low-angle climbs such as volcanoes; at technical approaches involving glaciers and scrambling; and at vertical ice and mixed climbs.

- ClimbingGear

Montrail Men's I.C.E. 9

The Men's I.C.E. 9 has been discontinued.

The Montrail Men's I.C.E. 9 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2006 at Altrec Outdoors.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.